Vodafone - divert to voicemail from 2nd phone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rory

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
C270CDi Estate (late 2004 facelift model) - Bought 2005, Sold 2022.
So I'm beginning the battle of starting to use my new Palm Treo Pro. :(

After doing some reading I'm not even going to attempt getting it to connect to the car so current thought is to get a 2nd sim and leave my old Nokia 6310i in the UHI cradle in the car (facelift W203 with COMAND).

I realise I could manually set and unset divert every time I get in and out of the car, but what I'd like to do is leave the Palm set to divert on no answer then I could just rely on that without having to remember.

However my issue is that that would mean all voicemail messages would go to the 6310i's number.

So, two questions:
1) is there anyway of forcing the messages back to my main number's voicemail box?
2) is there a better way of doing this. :)

wouldnt it be easier just to bite the bullet and buy a bluetooth adaptor? :)

So, two questions:
1) is there anyway of forcing the messages back to my main number's voicemail box?

1. Divert unanswered message from the 6310 to your first phone's voicemail.
2. Buy a Viseeo and go the Bluetooth route. Just slots in instead of your 6310i and is much easier all round.

wouldnt it be easier just to bite the bullet and buy a bluetooth adaptor? :)

Do you mean MB / Viseeo thingy, or standalone headset?

It seems, from searching, that Treo's don't connect well to the bluetooth cradle / UHI adaptors, and the phone book /contacts don't transfer.

I also have concerns about how well it would work in practice, reception wise. The 6310i in its cradle, using the external aerial, works effortlessly.

1. Divert unanswered message from the 6310 to your first phone's voicemail.

That's what I want to do - but how is it done?

I used to have completely random number as my voicemailbox number - no idea where it came from but it's stored in my phone. However it doesn't work now and there seems to be a generic number to call - 07836 121121, after which you have to dial in your own mobile number, so that wouldn't work.

2. Buy a Viseeo and go the Bluetooth route. Just slots in instead of your 6310i and is much easier all round.
It wouldn't appear to work well with Treo's, although doesn't look like too many people have tried. I don't have a problem buying a Viseeo if I had some confidence that it would work well.

Presumeably I should get the Viseeo 2000 to replace the UHI cradle, although the MB HFP would, on the face of it, do the same thing.
I wondered if I might be better getting the Viseeo 1000 as that would have the advantage of making it easier to pop the 6310i back in if needed?

I'm probably thinking about this too much! :confused:

Vodafone are making a transition to a new service.
If your number has been moved you can precede your handset number with 121 to go straight to voicemail.
Alternatively with Vodafone wou will have a dedicated voicemail number. I think to find this you need to do *#06# then call. (though that might be the imei number - if it is, try *#104#

Last edited:
Do you mean MB / Viseeo thingy, or standalone headset?

It seems, from searching, that Treo's don't connect well to the bluetooth cradle / UHI adaptors, and the phone book /contacts don't transfer.

I also have concerns about how well it would work in practice, reception wise. The 6310i in its cradle, using the external aerial, works effortlessly.

Would be just using the Viseo cradle. Im at a kind of crossroads myself at what do to cradle wise. All roads seem to point towards viseo tho :confused:

If your number has been moved you can precede your handset number with 121 to go straight to voicemail.
Alternatively with Vodafone wou will have a dedicated voicemail number. I think to find this you need to do *#06# then call. (though that might be the imei number - if it is, try *#104#

*#06# brings IMEI on all GSM/UMTS phones.

That's what I want to do - but how is it done?

I used to have completely random number as my voicemailbox number - no idea where it came from but it's stored in my phone. However it doesn't work now and there seems to be a generic number to call - 07836 121121, after which you have to dial in your own mobile number, so that wouldn't work.

My service provider also supports a specific voice mail number which is the same for all phone numbers. But they have to have an ordinary voice mail number too because the short number does not always work from abroad (depends on the roaming network capability).

Anyway, I guess the ViseeO should work with a Treo too?

The new service sounds like it might be useful. Do you know any more details?

ETA: SOLUTION! I just tried 121 then wife's phone number (also Vodafone) and that worked perfectly!! Thanks.
Obviousy it only works from a Vodafone, but that's fine as I'll be setting it as divert from the Vodafone in my car.

I used to have a dedicated voicemail number - nothing special, I assume everyone did and I've had it stored for years as "voicemail" in my phonebook. I guess it must have been the number you used to call to access VM from abroad. It doesn't work now.

I did already know about *#104# - that brings up the generic 07836 121121 number, you then dial whichever voicemail box you want to access. You can't leave a message - it's for logging in only.

Last edited:
I did already know about *#104# - that brings up the generic 07836 121121 number, you then dial whichever voicemail box you want to access. You can't leave a message - it's for logging in only.

I assume the generic number anyway only works from your own phone to your own voice mail but usually the specific number works the same way from your own phone because the system identifies the caller's number.

If you use the specific number from any other phone or call abroad from a network that drops the caller ID, you would have to enter the voice mail pin code (not actually related to the issue here).

A call divert from a different subscription for the phone in the car would go to voice mail as the caller ID is different from the main subscription to which the voice mail belongs to.

From the vodafone site:

Q. Can I retrieve my Voicemail from another phone?

To listen to your Voicemail messages from another phone:
  • Dial your mobile phone number then interrupt your greeting by pressing 9
  • You will hear a message asking you for your security code
  • Enter your security code and you will be able to listen to your messages.
Please note - You will not be able to access your Voicemail in this way until you have changed your PIN number from the default.
To change your security settings:
Dial 121 followed by Send
Press 1 for the main menu
Dial 42 to access the security settings.
Press 2 to set your security code.

You can then program this number, including the 9 and the security code into your other phone. Just use a # to make a pause between the number and the 9 and the security code.

Not sure if yuo can use this to divert voicemails though. I think the Viseeo would be easier.

Last edited:
I assume the generic number anyway only works from your own phone to your own voice mail but usually the specific number works the same way from your own phone because the system identifies the caller's number.

If you use the specific number from any other phone or call abroad from a network that drops the caller ID, you would have to enter the voice mail pin code (not actually related to the issue here).

A call divert from a different subscription for the phone in the car would go to voice mail as the caller ID is different from the main subscription to which the voice mail belongs to.

I read a bit more this afternoon and Vodafone has 2 voicemail systems.

Their original one had unique mailbox phone numbers (hence the number that I picked up from somewhere stored in my phone).
Their "new" (not sure how new) system is called NGVM - Next Generation Voice Mail.

All NGVM mailboxes use the generic number for system access. However, even if you dial it from your own phone (I just tried this), surprisingly, it still needs to be told the number of the specific mailbox that you're trying to access - it doesn't go directly to your own mailbox. Only the code 121 works directly from your own phone.

Anyway, whether you use the generic number or 121, you can't leave messages that way. Diverting (or just directly calling) to 12107xxx xxxxxx just goes straight to whichever Vodafone mobile number's answerphone you dial. As mentioned, I tested that and it works. It's not new apparently, I found a post from 2005 while Googling which mentions it.

Last edited:
So I'm beginning the battle of starting to use my new Palm Treo Pro. :(

After doing some reading I'm not even going to attempt getting it to connect to the car so current thought is to get a 2nd sim and leave my old Nokia 6310i in the UHI cradle in the car (facelift W203 with COMAND).

I realise I could manually set and unset divert every time I get in and out of the car, but what I'd like to do is leave the Palm set to divert on no answer then I could just rely on that without having to remember.

However my issue is that that would mean all voicemail messages would go to the 6310i's number.

So, two questions:

Most Voice Mail systems (including the Comverse Insight NGVM used by Vodafone) allow you to divert an incoming call to an alternative mailbox. So you can configure the Voicemail account of your 6310 to store incoming calls on the mailbox number of your Palm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom