Vodafone Mclaren

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ashadam

Car
CDI220 AMG Sport Plus Saloon Arrived 6th March 2013 Still Happy!
What is going on with this team in the last 6 months, they have lost Lewis Hamilton (There best Driver), Paddy Lowe (Technical Director), Possibly losing Mercedes Engines at end of season and now annoucement they are losing there main sponsor Vodafone (Can you blame them).

Is this a sinking ship? Something must clearly be wrong for all these changes, gutted I used to love this team.

Aren't they about to sign a deal with Honda for their engines.

It's all part of the natural ebb and flow of F1.

Aren't they about to sign a deal with Honda for their engines.

It's all part of the natural ebb and flow of F1.
With so much key personnel leaving at the same time, you could be right but why is this not happening end of season. Why all the annoucements now? Why is Paddy Lowe on Gardening leave he was the technical director should he not be working his last year?

It's normal for senior engineers to go on gardening leave in F1.
It means when they do finally go their knowledge is 1 year out of date.

It's normal for senior engineers to go on gardening leave in F1.
It means when they do finally go their knowledge is 1 year out of date.
I dont think Luca Furbatto had gardening leave and I presume they still develop cars years ahead or is this not the case anymore. If you think the going on's at Mclaren are normal nothing I can say to that.

I have no inside F1 knowledge, but it sounds like you have.
All I can comment on, is on the automotive side where their staff turnover seems high.

My suspicion would be that a seven years run for a sponsor is considered to be long enough (by the sponsor) and their marketing investment needs to be freshened by seeking alternatives.

Mic

My guess ----they have sold enough phones in the UK [ metaphorically speaking] and will be looking to sponsor other teams/ events to improve market penetration in the new markets of the developing world.
People tend to forget these marketing people are not interested in motor racing they are interested in sales!

Most insiders knew that the Vodafone deal wasn't going to run beyond the existing contract. Telmex look to be the obvious replacement, especially as they provide some of the bankroll for Perez.

Furbatto's role at McLaren was different to Paddy Lowe's - IIRC his final role was as head of Materials and Stress Analysis, although he had been a project member / leader on the F1 cars during his time there. As F1 general works only 9-12 months ahead, Lowe's gardening leave seems appropriate some someone in such a key position in the organisation. When you get a little bit lower down the pecking order you have to be careful of imposing to many restrictions in a very small job market - Furbatto was probably on a 3-6 month notice period during which time he would not have had contact with the F1 side of he business.

Same scenario where I work - my guys are on 3-6 month notice periods and we would probably get them to sit at home on "gardening leave". As the practice lead, I have a longer period, and we all have lots of non-poaching and non-disclosure agreements tied in which (from experience) are quite rigorously enforced.

As for the situation at McLaren? Drivers come and go all the time, especially at contract end. You tend to get the idea that they didn't try too hard to keep Hamilton. Vodafone - contract was coming to an end anyway. Engines - both McLaren and MB have announced that the current contract is in force until the end of 2015, so no immediate worries there. Paddy Lowe going - happens all the time.

F1 teams change constantly - Mr E Snr was in the game for many years and it's not unusual for engineers / mechanics to follow drivers, people to move in order to progress careers, etc. On the design side, an injection of new blood often works well (outside of Newey's circle, but he's in a different league). What counts is how they cope with the change.

Vodafone annoounced nearly a year ago that it wouldnt not extend its current headline deal.

The Mclaren Honda deal is a worst kept secret...

I have no fears for the team.. at leasr they exist without tobacco money unlike Ferrari.

Ok so all is well at McLaren and finally the season has started so should be fun to watch this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom