Voice Coach?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
An(other) odd one... I'm going to be dragged to her place again tonight... which unfortunately includes seeing some very talented people singing... and me politely declining...

I'm worthless at singing, and usually get asked to stop...

So I was thinking, has anyone had a voice coach/singing instructor... not to go from talented to good... but to go from untalented, tone deaf wailer to barely-bareable?

Any ideas?

M.

If she cared ... you wouldn't need to sing

If you are really tone deaf, it is going to be difficult, as the ability to determine you are singing at the correct pitch is a fundamental requirement before dealing with other issues. Is it that, or just lack of experience at singing, church attendance always gives an opportunity for singing, usually without incriminations as regards to quality, but it is an infrequent practice for many people these days.

Say how much you car & would love to participate, but because of your voice is terrible you will be taking lessons with welcome - The Kaos Organisation so you can "sign" along instead of sing a long.

[YOUTUBE]d3HaoymZEKs[/YOUTUBE] This American Sign Language :dk:

A small amount of alcohol loosens the vocal chords and helps add richness to the voice.

Try to breath deeply and sing "from your stomach"

Don't hold the long notes.

Choosing the right song in the right key also makes a big, big difference.

There are plenty of singing teachers around that can help you with the basics.

A small amount of alcohol loosens the vocal chords and helps add richness to the voice.

Try to breath deeply and sing "from your stomach"

Don't hold the long notes.

Choosing the right song in the right key also makes a big, big difference.

There are plenty of singing teachers around that can help you with the basics.

Port is very good to "oil" the works.

Some years ago, we stayed at a very pleasant guest house near Vauclais on a dinner, B&B basis. Meals were taken communally with the hosts and the other guests round a huge kitchen table.

We barely speak French and the other ten or so diners' command of English was little better. Nonetheless, we got on famously in broken Franglais, enjoying great food and wine.

However, my blood still runs cold when I recall the middle-aged French gent who was with his wife and two teenage children, suddenly - and without any discernible warning or reason - stood up before coffee was served and completed a very creditable rendition of "Votre toast, je peux vous le rendre".

He rolled his eyes and waved his arms and his kids did not appear to be the least bit embarrassed - maybe he did this all the time...

When he finished, he sat down and we all politely applauded - and conversation continued where we left off.

But, for a ghastly minute or so, we wondered if we were going go round the table doing our party pieces.

Superb evening, though! I wonder if Charles Morgan has experienced similar?

Get pi55ed, then you won't care and you will think you sound amazing.

Superb evening, though! I wonder if Charles Morgan has experienced similar?

One of the pleasures of having two opera singers, a pianist and a trombonist among my friends is the last thing they want to do is perform. They'd rather get totally pi55ed.

I do recall one very odd dinner in Chester, where my dining club president had organised one while at law school. The restaurant had a saloon upstairs where they put us, the local fire brigade and an Irish party together. We got rat ****d on some horrible stuff, and started singing things like Jerusalem, Land of Hope and Glory, got a few cheers from the similarly plastered fireman, and then a small Irishman got up and proceeded to sing Danny Boy in the most lyrical tenor voice. I know my perceptions were altered, but to this day I have never heard finer. We gave him a standing ovation, and the firemen all said they'd never had a more enjoyable night out.

Someone told me once that if you wish to sing for other peoples enjoyment or to impress that's a mistake. If you are rubbish you will feel bad and they will feel bad. If you do it because you like to sing and enjoy the experience and others enjoy it along the way that's a bonus. If you feel stressed and under pressure to perform you won't give of your best and the people watching will sense your discomfort and feel uncomfortable /embarrassed also. People don't like this. If you are enjoying performing that feeling will be communicated to your audience and they will enjoy it with you even if you do make mistakes. Singing in public is like any other skill---- you have to practice it-- a little every day is better than an all afternoon session---- you will improve and gain confidence and what has been mentioned learn what material suits you.

Leonard Coen is a classic example - he can't really sing but he recites poetry to music.
[YOUTUBE]6fMnF0Fvdpo&feature=fvwrel[/YOUTUBE]

His delivery is an object lesson in material, timing and nuancing. So even if you can't sing much you can still perform.
That said a few lessons with a voice coach may help with the basics but the biggest person to convince is yourself before anyone else.

... and Lenny by Jenny

[youtube]bPlpxHhzSp0[/youtube]

Why not do a bit of rapping? They don't sing really, just talk fast.

Ice ice baby would go down a treat.

LTD;... and Lenny by Jenny I still have the original famous BLUE RAINCOAT by Jennifer Warnes- still gives me chills--- that Stevie Ray's guitar on the lead track [I said:
First We Take Manhattan [/I]takes some beating.:rock:

I still have the original famous BLUE RAINCOAT by Jennifer Warnes

Me too - it's a stunning album.

Get 'The Hunter' :thumb:

[youtube]g5cERFB8Gys[/youtube]

Last edited:
I'm worthless at singing, and usually get asked to stop...
M.

They all had to start somewhere. Being asked to stop is very rude. No one should be discounted for trying. They should be passing on their skills to you. They should be your coaches, for free. Either that or they should not ask you to sing when they see your discomfort. Some friends your G/F has.

Make a brew, pour some wine and listen to them. Your skills lay elsewhere - tell them that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom