Voice control for Comand nav

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hgb

Car
E220d Estate
I'm new to the brand and have a 2017 (S213) E220d Estate with Comand nav. I have tried using the voice control to input a destination "Navigate to ..." but it does not seem to like postcodes and tries to find locations in Italy/Greece if at all.
What am I doing wrong? Any hints or tips for making this potentially useful feature work?

I'm new to the brand and have a 2017 (S213) E220d Estate with Comand nav. I have tried using the voice control to input a destination "Navigate to ..." but it does not seem to like postcodes and tries to find locations in Italy/Greece if at all.
What am I doing wrong? Any hints or tips for making this potentially useful feature work?
Make sure you have set the country to the desired one on the navigation screen.

Thanks Alfie, it is definitely configured for the UK. I have read elsewhere that the sat nav does not accept full postcodes so I suspect that is part of the problem. The other part could be my broad Yorkshire accent - who knows!
Is there a method to 'teach' the Comand system particulatr keywords or do I just have to get used to it?

Not sure I am reading this right, but Linguatronic does not accept postcodes, only towns and streets?

Hi Gollom, don't take my word as gospel - I am still finding my way around. I have read, from various sources, that the version of the navigation in my car only accepts 5 character postcodes. When I try and enter a full postcode it does seem to get confused. I have assumed that the linguatronic will only provide the 'voice to text' conversion and will still have the same limitations as entering a destination manually.
Happy to be proved wrong though...

IMHO don't waste any more of your time with Linguatronic. When I first got my S204 I read the Linguatronic manual and wasted a couple of hours trying to "teach" it my pronunciation (and I don't have a broad Yorkiebar accent, just a South London/Kent!) with a marked lack of success. I also tried using it a few times while driving - haven't bothered further for years! As for postcodes, NTG4 in my car only accepts 5 digits of a UK postcode so again I don't bother, I use the street address instead - or the map method of entering destination.

Hi Gollom, don't take my word as gospel - I am still finding my way around. I have read, from various sources, that the version of the navigation in my car only accepts 5 character postcodes. When I try and enter a full postcode it does seem to get confused. I have assumed that the linguatronic will only provide the 'voice to text' conversion and will still have the same limitations as entering a destination manually.
Happy to be proved wrong though...

Pretty sure car of that age will accept full postcode. Try entering it manually - I have never found Linguatronic good at verbal numbers although it's surprisingly good at towns and roads IMHO. One note when entering manually it needs a space sometimes - if an area has both (as an example) DAx xxx and DAxx xxx you would need the space. Easier to show than tell! Pop into MB - you may get someone to show you

Earlier MB satnav did indeed only accept part postcodes

P.S. If you post your VIN someone will be able to pull up a list of the exact specification of your car from the factory

Pretty sure car of that age will accept full postcode. Try entering it manually - I have never found Linguatronic good at verbal numbers although it's surprisingly good at towns and roads IMHO. One note when entering manually it needs a space sometimes - if an area has both (as an example) DAx xxx and DAxx xxx you would need the space. Easier to show than tell! Pop into MB - you may get someone to show you

Earlier MB satnav did indeed only accept part postcodes

P.S. If you post your VIN someone will be able to pull up a list of the exact specification of your car from the factory
Thanks @Gollom - I will pop round to the dealer at some point. Its not a massive issue as I don't rely on the sat nav but would like to get my head round it.
Ref VIN, one of the other members pointed me to a VIN checker and I am working through the report trying to decipher all the components. Thanks for the advice

We need to know which navigation system you have. If its Comand then it will accept full postcodes. If its Audio 50 then it wont.

IMHO don't waste any more of your time with Linguatronic. When I first got my S204 I read the Linguatronic manual and wasted a couple of hours trying to "teach" it my pronunciation (and I don't have a broad Yorkiebar accent, just a South London/Kent!) with a marked lack of success. I also tried using it a few times while driving - haven't bothered further for years! As for postcodes, NTG4 in my car only accepts 5 digits of a UK postcode so again I don't bother, I use the street address instead - or the map method of entering destination.
Me too.

Works a treat, thank you! 😊

Sometimes it pays to look at the screen whilst making voice commands. It took me a while to work out how to enter a postcode with voice, until I looked at the screen which had a list of sample instructions and there it was :)

That's a nice variation on the normal "RTFM"!!:D:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom