Voip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glenleven

Car
E350d cabrio
Been on the money saving expert website and discovered VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) :
http://www.voipcheap.co.uk/en/index.html it enables you to make free phone calls via the internet. It really does work, all you need is a headset with a microphone. The download only takes seconds with broadband. According to their website even dial up can be used. Just register and wait until your application is approved via e-mail. Pay £5 with your credit card and you can call anywhere in the UK for free. Even Australia is free. The fiver is for calls that do cost money
Mrs Glenleven is most impressed - she was very doubtful but is now hooked. Apparently there are others but this one is free to use. The only hassle is booting up the computer but once your booted up it’s piece of cake. Believe after an hour you are disconnected, but you just dial again.
“Skype” appears to be the biggie at the moment but their calls are not totally free.
All the calls I am making appear to be crystal clear as I always ask - Don’t know how long the free UK landline calls will last for but so far so good.

agreed - been using it for weeks - its excellent

The main benefit is that you can call landlines for free - skype and others are free only if you call other skype users at their pc

in case anyone wondered ;)

grasmere said:
agreed - been using it for weeks - its excellent

The main benefit is that you can call landlines for free - skype and others are free only if you call other skype users at their pc

in case anyone wondered ;)

Was always thinking of giving this a try.. might have to try it sooner!

There are a load of these services around, http://www.voipbuster.com/en/index.html is another excellent, reliable service. This one is a little cheaper.

Typically these services will allow you to fiddle for a few months, then they'll move to a charging model. Was using one called Babble.net last year which was quite good.

Skype is the daddy so far - been using it for about 4 years.

You can now even by Skype DECT phones that let you choose whether you want to make a landline call or VOIP. It even shows up on the telephone screen all your Skype buddies that are currently online :bannana:

That said, people like telediscount offer comparable or cheaper international rates for a lot less hassle.

Sp!ke said:

You can now even by Skype DECT phones that let you choose whether you want to make a landline call or VOIP. It even shows up on the telephone screen all your Skype buddies that are currently online :bannana:

That said, people like telediscount offer comparable or cheaper international rates for a lot less hassle.

I actually have a Siemens DECT phone that is skype compatible. I tried phoning my brother in New Zealand but he has a very slow modem connection, Skype does not work. Then I used the SkypeOut option but the quality was terrible? It could be that I was downloading at the time though?

Regards,
John

Sp!ke said:

I have Skype and a Dect phone. I use an automatic switch box that routes the call as desired. It also rings the phone on incoming skype calls.
I had a faulty USB port and the quality was terrible, changed port and it's crystal clear.

Three way call Uk, USA and Israel, one hour, no charge. Cool. ;)

Dieselman said:
I have Skype and a Dect phone. I use an automatic switch box that routes the call as desired. It also rings the phone on incoming skype calls.
I had a faulty USB port and the quality was terrible, changed port and it's crystal clear.

Three way call Uk, USA and Israel, one hour, no charge. Cool. ;)

It is good when it works and that is more often than not.

The Siemens telephone is all automatic, it will answer whatever technology is contacting you, be it internal, Skype, or external. It gets interesting when you are on the phone making an external call, the Skype rings at the same time and you get an internal call!!!! :D

John

Skype is P2P though, which can create bandwidth problems depending on your role in the mesh. Don't think it bothers home users much though. Companies with fat links tend to suffer a little though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom