Volcanic Ash, an E350 CDI and Milan!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maff

MB Enthusiast
Sorry for the long post, but blimey, what a 48 hours! :wallbash:

I had a reasonably important business trip in Milan on Thursday morning, so I got up, caught an early flight to Italy and had my meeting along with my business partner. Then someone said something about 'ash' no flights and at first I thought they must be mad. Then I checked the BBC news website! :crazy::crazy:

So, I'm now stuck in Milan on Thursday with no clothes, no phone charger, nothing, just what I am wearing and my credit card.

My hosts and I tried to sort different flights with no luck, then train tickets, with no luck, then car hire for me to drive back to the UK and nothing. Not a sausage. Everything fully booked. Last resort was to ask for a quote for someone to take me to Calais where I could catch a ferry to the UK - cheapest quote was £2500!!! I then tried to buy a car to drive home, but due to Italian law this wasn't going to happen.

The reason for all this rush to get home was due to the fact I had a family holiday booked in Paris on the Saturday morning, which was my wife's Christmas present and our daughters first overseas holiday, so I HAD to be home for Saturday!!!!

On top of all this my neighbour called me to say she had just found our cat dead on the side of the road. :( :(

Thus, the only way I was going to get home was by car. So after dropping a few hints two of my maintenance guys from the office offered to come and collect me and my business partner. :bannana:

My business partner managed to find one hotel room in the middle of nowhere for the small sum of £420 for the night :eek:

It's not on my signature, but I currently have a new E350 CDI Sport, thus they jumped in at 8pm Thursday night, drove through the night and arrived in Milan 10am on Friday morning. :bannana: :bannana:
We shared the driving on the way back, and got back to our office in the UK at 11pm Friday night.

The E350 was superb and faultless, it never missed a beat after 24 hours of constant driving. It rides like a magic carpet and returns fantastic fuel consumption, just what you need on a long journey.

The results speak for themselves below, this must be one of the longest 'From Start' screen shots of the dash outside of Mercedes own testing!

And, to top it off, we loaded the car to the roof this morning, and its now taken us to Paris for a weeks holiday. Will need a service when I get home! :)

Matt.

Attachments

• milanbycar.jpg
    milanbycar.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 233
You have an E350 CDI, administer an MB Forum and ommited it from your signature....sheesh.....

I see you manged to get a Fiat and a French shopping trolly on the sig.....:rolleyes:

I take it you must have been pressing on. 33mpg isn't that good really.

The 212 is growing on me, couple of the technology fellas (the department where the money lurks) have them, and they look nice in sport trim.

I take it you must have been pressing on. 33mpg isn't that good really.

The 212 is growing on me, couple of the technology fellas (the department where the money lurks) have them, and they look nice in sport trim.

You'll want one Steve, I thought it was a poor effort but having seen an F10 I now want a W212. :D
Put the E350 on your sig Maff, it's better than the French tat. :D (I joke.)
BTW are you getting a C350 CDi or an E320 CDi next? Steve.

You'll want one Steve,
BTW are you getting a C350 CDi or an E320 CDi next? Steve.

Ooooooooooft. What a question.

The 204 320cdi I drove was an absolute BLAST, loved driving it. Only gripe was the cabin. I will re-look at the car again and see whether thats something I can tolerate.

The 212 looks a little more high end inside (the fellas one @ work is fairly spec'd and there is less plastic about. I will go and try one I think.

I could go and buy a 211 320cdi/280cdi sport tomorrow if I wanted too, but fear it will be like mine only a little better so maybe better holding out for a 204/212 later on. I still enjoy mine a lot so don't need to shell out for a new car too soon.

What a mission!! This is a totally unpredictable event. You do have to pinch yourself to actually believe it. The current advert for Volvic seems a little out of place at the moment. :)

It´s hard work driving that sort of distance. You can quite easily drift off into a different reality, and forget you are actually driving.

Sorry to hear about your cat. :(

Just sent our company driver to rescue my 4 guys from Frankfurt earliest they have been advised they can fly is Wednesday (Maybe) so he's on the ferry from Hull to Rotterdam tonight down to Frankfurt and back on tomorrow nights sailing, quicker cheaper and more productive than waiting until Wednesday.

Shame he is driving a BMW 535d though, or maybe not reckon that could be a right Autobahn Stormer:eek:

Last resort was to ask for a quote for someone to take me to Calais where I could catch a ferry to the UK - cheapest quote was £2500!!!

A friend of mine took a taxi Coopenhagen-Zurich and paid DKK 30.000.- (£3K+) due to cancelled flights.

If this carries on, I might have to drive out to meet my wife in Moscow and bring her home! Now THAT would be a serious drive! Fingers crossed the cloud passes on before next thursday... :crazy:

Alternative - ferry to Finland then drive to St Petersburg and meet her there....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom