Volkswagen Corrado G60..

Discussion in 'MB Defectors to Other Marques Forum' started by Leemc2008, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Leemc2008

Leemc2008 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW e39 540i 4.4 V8
    Hi Guys and Girls..

Anyone had any experience with Volkwagen Corrado's, esp. the supercharged G60? I am being offered one in p/x against my C280..

Looking for some advice on these cars..

Cheers

Lee

2. Howard

Howard MB Club Veteran

Car:
    CLS 500 / A 150
  3. BaldGuy

BaldGuy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Porsche Cayenne Turbo + 911
    I had a 16v Corrado and also a G60 Jetta that I converted... All i can say is check that the rear active spoiler works, there is a button in the footwell that raises it for cleaning.. Otherwise its typical VDUB.... Its the G60 that needs looking after, ask if its been overhauled at all.. If they go bang, your looking at 800 - 1000 for a new one depending on how bad it goes... A standard G60 is 160bhp and a chipped and pulleyed is just shy of 200bhp... Colour is also important if you are thinking of moving it on... I had a red 16v and every panel was a different red where it had bleached... so be aware....

Good Luck... they are a very nice quick little coupe..

4. OP
    OP
    Leemc2008

Leemc2008 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW e39 540i 4.4 V8
    Thanks for that info.. What was the G60 like to run, I'm guessing mpg being in the low 20's?

5. flango

flango MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    Good Points: Great looking car and rare too, not many people know what it is. Nice interior with good low down driving postion. Trick spoiler that go's up at 40+ mph, g-lader supercharger whine added bonus, Good handling too.
    Bad Points: Supercharger needs overhaul at 65k ish (very common), not that quick really as standard with just 160bhp, and gear shift is very long, with very short 1st and 2nd gears, need to be in 3rd to hit 60mph
    General comments: First thing to do with the Volkswagen Corrdo G60 is get the charger overhauled if it's not been done in the last 60k. Tuning options are get it uprated, gas flowed more airflow, add a smaller pulley and also re map The difference is massive near 200 bhp they should have been like this from the factory. A great driver's car - Great car, but if it's standard don't expect to be amazed with the performance - just allow to spend some money on the charger etc. you'll be glad you did!!!

6. ADY1983

ADY1983 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    300CE-24 Sportline, MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Edition, Scirocco GTII
    Very nice cars and only seem to be going up in value so would probably be worth doing even if you plan on keeping it. Beware though there are a lot of rough ones about I looked at one last year it was a real dog and put me off them a bit.:(

I have a 1992 Scirocco GTII In the garage now I keep meaning to put pics up but haven’t got round to it yet it has only covered 65k from new a friend of mine had it 14 years :rock:

7. BaldGuy

BaldGuy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Porsche Cayenne Turbo + 911
    As Flanaia says they make a really adictive sound even louder after an overhaul/upgrade... I cant remember the mpg as it was years go for me... but I would have remembered if it was that bad... The interior is very nice as well and better laid out that the normal VDUB Golf... An added bonus is leather which allot of them have... mainly the VR6 though....

8. Corrado

Corrado Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Civit 1.8VTEC
    As they say, "you have PM".

Re mpg; If you're heavy footed in an un-modded G60 you can keep mpg down in the upper twenties, but it'll be hard to get less than 34 on a long run and if you go easy it'll be heading towards 40.

9. Ted

Ted MB Club Veteran

Car:
    SLC 250D AMG Line, Yamaha XVS 1100, Jeep Renegade
    I had a 16v in the early nineties.
    One of my favourite cars ever. Handling was perfect and responsive engine.
    I had no problems in over 70,000 miles other than two exhaust sections failing and a battery failing.
    Mine was the dark silver (sort of pewter)
    The interior is bland and rather sombre, but you don't notice because the car is such fun to drive.

I still miss it.

10. gina2201

gina2201 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Audi A4 Quattro Avant S-Line
    Nice cars, mate had one not long ago and it was a beast!!!

11. BIG J

BIG J Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C180 Classic
    My bro has one very nice cars main thing to look at as mentioned is the superchanger when is was last serviced, as they can be very expensive to replace.