Voltage regulator removal on W203 C220CDI (2002)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cc260E

Car
E-420CDI 2008, 220CDI Coupé Sport 2002, GLK 220CDI 2009
Hello every body;
I need to change the Voltage regulator on alternator of my W203 C220CDI Coupe Sport (2002).
Is it possble to remove it without removing the alternator?
In advance thanks for help

The instructions in the Haynes workshop manual are to remove the alternator from the car, but it depends on access from under the car as to if it's doable in situ I would think.

Two bolts hold the plastic cover on and three bolts hold the voltage regulator/brush holder.
Don't forget to disconnect the battery positive lead before either option.

Final achievement: car went to dealor for alternator replacement, cost 2000 euros- 1100 euros for the alternator)
P.S. Mercedes Benz doesn't sell anymore the parts for replacing just the brushes. whiich is soldered on the regulator.

What is the world coming to when it cost 2000 Euro's for a new alternator.

My 190e never had a alternator or brushes in 26 years. I did remove and check the brushes once as precautionary measure but they were fine and I didn't even need to do the old trick of swapping the inner and outer brushes around to eke some more life out of them. The brushes contact two concentric rings and the outer ring has a faster rubbing speed than the inner so it wears faster.

I've no idea if modern alternators are the same but I'll be having a look see if it's ever needed.

Jeez that's expensive, a Remy alternator from my nearest supplier is £260, I could get one for £180 both with two year guarantee. At £260 it's approx 340 euros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom