Volvo S40 Anti Skid Steer & Warrantywise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why do people buy aftermarket warranties? Surely everyone knows they are not worth the paper they are printed on?
Always bought a Warranty Direct policy for my cars, can't afford new lol.
Never had a problem & each time I've got more than what I've paid out back in repair
costs.
Had my 2006 R320CDi for just over 4 mths when swirl motor packed up. Got new motor, new inlet manifolds & modified piping all done under the policy - cost me just shy of £180 for a £1500 job. Due to mileage I had to pay a % of parts cost & £50 excess. Got another 2.5 years of the warranty left & already slightly ahead!
Wouldn't buy a decent second hand car without taking out a good warranty - it's an insurance policy so I don't end up footing the whole bill.

Col

Never had a problem & each time I've got more than what I've paid out back in repair
costs.
Had my 2006 R320CDi for just over 4 mths when swirl motor packed up. Got new motor, new inlet manifolds & modified piping all done under the policy - cost me just shy of £180 for a £1500 job. Due to mileage I had to pay a % of parts cost & £50 excess. Got another 2.5 years of the warranty left & already slightly ahead!
Wouldn't buy a decent second hand car without taking out a good warranty - it's an insurance policy so I don't end up footing the whole bill.

Col

The solution to the swirl motor issue is a 26p resistor from Maplins + a couple of hours labour. Sure it's a £1500 job at MB but about £60 at an Indie

Depends how much a month you are paying for the warranty I guess :dk:

costs.

Col

But if you buy an approved used car you can have a Mercedes warranty.

Or save your pennies and pay a good indie to do the work.

some people swear by warranties, and some, like me, seem to have nothing but bother with them. ive got a bunch of phonecalls to make today to try and get things sorted somehow.

the rebuild and indie route looks like where im going, however the car being off the road for potentially 2 weeks will cause chaos. however id much sooner have that problem than a £900 one.

thanks for all your advice guys, to say this is a MB forum, you lot are incredibly helpful and knowledgeable when it comes to other motors! :bannana:

ive just posted this over at Volvo forums, thought its relevant here too;

so it turns out theres been confusion of sorts.

Volvo wanted to charge £127 per hour labour, and replace the part with a brand new unit at the cost of something like £500+ so thats where the £900 figure came into it.

Warrantywise said they are not going to pay for a new unit, they will get it refurbed from ECU testing. The guy at Volvo must have misunderstood that, he told me they wanted to see the part before allowing them to replace it.

So WW have paid my remainder years premiums and refunded me a nominal fee to my account to help cover the cost. However im still going to have to pay for the unit to be refurbished and replaced. However thats a much more digestible (in the grand scheme of things) cost. So its a bit of a result, however it is in the small print of the document. I was more concerned about the parts they didnt cover, not this eventuality!

Im trying to get together some prices from garages now.

Im just unsure if the unit will require any programming via Volvo computers at any point? If someone can answer me that question, then i can get my local garage to remove the part, post it to the ECU guys and refit it. The bloke at Warrington Volvo didnt seem to think there needs to be any computer programming however he didnt sound too convinced.

Any help would be great.
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom