Volvo V60 D5 205 bhp geartronic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I quite agree about Volvo dealers. Squire Furneaux in Maidenhead have been a pleasure to deal with, as were the Warwickshire dealers we used before we moved south.

And yes, there's nothing like a Volvo seat on a long journey, and the HU-803 audio in my S60 still sounds fantastic after nine years. But the space in the back is no better than borderline for adults - a Skoda Superb is the same length outside but has far better space for passengers and luggage; four people my size (1.98m) could travel all day in one of those. And an E220 AG rides better, is quieter, and has a similarly well-planned driving environment - silly all-in-one stalk excepted - with a bigger boot and rear seat.

I mentioned the footrest and auto-hold features of the manual 2012 V70 to my wife after reading this. Her reply was, "Oh, I don't mind having an automatic now, as long as it's the Mercedes one." I may still try it anyway - especially if the discounts on new cars are as big as that.

Just been talking to my local Volvo dealer. No V60 orders are being taken as there is a backlog to clear. Seems they had a great finance offer for March and got swamped with orders. So no discounts on that car available unless a dealer has one on order now that can be changed.
Discounts are available on other models.

Last edited:
Well today I went to view the car. Drives very nicely, a harder ride than my MB but out handles it very easily. Performance wise not as good, but not that far off the pace. Looked lovely in Cosmic White - a pearlesance White. Seats to die for and fully loaded with leather, heated front and rear seats, sensus sat nav, 18" wheels, DAB, privacy glass and a very good p/x price.

So we did a deal and I'll be picking it up next week. So after 6+ years it's back to Volvo. I'll post some pics in the "rogues" gallery when I have it. Just hope my 4th inlet port motor lasts the week out. :D
:thumb::bannana:

crockers said:
Well today I went to view the car. Drives very nicely, a harder ride than my MB but out handles it very easily. Performance wise not as good, but not that far off the pace. Looked lovely in Cosmic White - a pearlesance White. Seats to die for and fully loaded with leather, heated front and rear seats, sensus sat nav, 18" wheels, DAB, privacy glass and a very good p/x price.

So we did a deal and I'll be picking it up next week. So after 6+ years it's back to Volvo. I'll post some pics in the "rogues" gallery when I have it. Just hope my 4th inlet port motor lasts the week out. :D

Look forward to seeing the pics. How was the p/ex price compared to your earlier MB discussions? I get the impression that volvo have tried harder, and it's probably lost mb a customer because of it.

Last edited:
An extra £1k. Also the car is £15k under retail new - being just 6 months old it comes with 30 months manufacturers warranty. Not bought via Volvo but another guy in the trade.
I had been interested in a S204 250 CDi but dealer hummed and Rd over things then delYed coming back to me. When he did it was to eventually tell ms he had sold it. So I was being kept in reserve incase his deal fell through.
MB retail in Birmingham. Suppose he was doing the right thing for him. But it p*55ed me off big time.

Last edited:
Nice one Graham. Don't blame you got getting rid of your troublesome C class. The car sounds great and I hope it serves you better than your Mercedes which shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks steve. But to be honset I'll miss the Merc. Never had a car for so long and it wafts along so effortlessly. Just wish it had been more reliable. Oh well I'm sure the next owner will love it as everything is done, and it's in great condition.

Nice one Graham glad the deal went well all you need now is Polestar and thats your performance issue sorted :thumb: look forward to te pictures I love my V70 and go to the GTG's in it so dont let that put you off turning out never stopped me :D

Cheers Ian. I think I'll leave it standard for a while then if I Polestar it it will like having a new car again :D.
Turning circle not as good as MB but nowhere as bad as the old S60 I had.

Sounds good.
A good customer of mine, who has been a Merc owner for the last 30 years pulled up in a nice looking 11 plate V60 yesterday.

He was pretty positive about it, said it was a little noisier than his E220cdi was, and certainly firmer but overall pleased with his purchase.
Interior was beige throughout, and while I thought that may be a bit overkill it looked great and certainly an option I would entertain now.

He said he was getting 38mpg from it, D5 auto, compared with 47mpg from the e220cdi, but as he only does 8k miles a year not an issue.

Overall a great looking car I reckon.

Picking it up tomorrow - feel like a kid waiting for Christmas. :D

Just hope it's not raining so I can take some pictures.

Hope you have a bit more luck with the Ovlov Graham!

I'll look forward to the photos.

Well have had it 24 hours now and have no regrets. Feels much tighter, but then so does a W204.*
I forgot just how great Volvo seats are. The ride is very smooth and quiet. Cruising on the motorway had to keep an eye on the speedo. Mid range urge is not as much as the MB but not far off it. Feels much more planted in the bends.*

Loads of toys and the "linguistic" works a treat. DAB radio is brilliant. BT phone very clear but I miss the pre-wire of MB using outside aerial. The Sat Nav is great - haven't used the latest MB Comand but this Volvo one is far superior to my old one.*

Luggage space is no where as good as a S203/4 but it (in my opinion) doesn't look like an estate. Was asked today is it an estate or a hatchback. I think it's a blend of the two.*

Can't work out what the colour is. Called Cosmic White but it seems to change dramatically in different lights. From a silvery colour to a fawny */ creamy metallic.*

So - all in all I'm very pleased with the car. Also you don't see many on the roads yet so feels rather exclusive.*

Interesting purchase transaction though. I CHAPs the money to the guy. Arrived after a two hour drive to find it hadn't arrived. He said don't worry banks often mess up. Gave me the car. I got home called the bank and they hadn't actioned the request. Said dept was shut so I'd have to call back in morning. Called the dealer and he said don't worry. Next day, after telling Barclays how I felt he had his money by 10.30 am. A very nice and trusting guy.*

Weather pretty yukky so no pics yet. Will post some when weather better.*

Good luck with the new Volvo Crockers - look forward to seeing the pics. I agonised long and hard over my defection - as many here will remember (!) - but have been heartened by the good will shown by so many, since I thought that people on an MB Forum would be scornful! Have to say that I have no regrets so far. Car is surprisingly sprightly and like clockwork (yes, those seats make the ride very relaxed), and dealer experience has been exemplary...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom