Volvo V70

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CE230

Car
230CE
Not gotten rid of the MB but am interested in buying an estate car and have always liked the look of the Volvo V70 2.5TD.

Any pointers on what to look for would be appreciated.

TIA

D5 SE definitely best model I have had 3 V70's a 2.4 a T5 and a D5. Obviously T5 is the best of the bunch but that D5 diesel is a stormer only trouble is mating it to an auto box kills the performance and makes it very undecisive it never really can work out which gear it should be in, I've driven a few of these and they are all the same (BMW 530d also suffers this) but I do hate auto boxes so that view is probably biased. The manual box in the volvo is good strong and precise and lets you make the most of the D5's torque and performance. It just depends on your style and type of driving as to the preference.

As you know I am currenlty driving a V50 diesel, but I actually ordered another T5 as it was that good but the dealer seriously screwed up in the order procedure and offered me a deal I just could not refuse on the V50

V70 is a cracking car and not many in the same class can keep up with it, its nearest rival would be the BMW 530d. just my 2p worth

My wifes D5 SE is an auto and I cant fault it. It keeps you right in the powerband where you want it and besides, if you really want manual control, it has tiptronic so you can knock it up and donw manually if you wish even on the auto.

I drove a manual 6 speed V70 and didnt like the gearbox at all. Very hard shifts and a small a powerband meant I found myself constantly changing.

I'm sure I'd be quicker 0-60 in the auto rather than manual.

My wifes D5 SE is an auto and I cant fault it. It keeps you right in the powerband where you want it and besides, if you really want manual control, it has tiptronic so you can knock it up and donw manually if you wish even on the auto.

I drove a manual 6 speed V70 and didnt like the gearbox at all. Very hard shifts and a small a powerband meant I found myself constantly changing.

I'm sure I'd be quicker 0-60 in the auto rather than manual.

I think it just down to personal choice and to be fair it's probably just me as I hate auto's with a passion and so does SWMBO

I too had a S60 D5 Auto (165 bhp)....loved its performance. mileage, seats, durability etc

Oh one thing.....you will absolutely HATE the turning circle.............especially after a RWD car.

I too had a S60 D5 Auto (165 bhp)....loved its performance. mileage, seats, durability etc

Oh one thing.....you will absolutely HATE the turning circle.............especially after a RWD car.

Turning Circle - what turning circle! It was the only car I have ever had where to get up some multi story ramps you sometimes had to shuffle backwards - I had a V70 D5 SE which was a very nice car, and never put a foot wrong. It was the automatic which I found fine, but I do like the hassle free way of driving anyway. Only thing I found was that compared with the manual it was thirsty - about 38 MPG average normally.

Great radio and comfort also.

My wife has a 2.4 petrol V70 on an 02 plate at the moment, apart from the hard ride due to the 17" alloys and low profile tyres and the three point turns that become very embarassing its a good car. 26mpg around town and up to 40ish mpg on a long run.

D5 SE definitely best model I have had 3 V70's a 2.4 a T5 and a D5. Obviously T5 is the best of the bunch but that D5 diesel is a stormer only trouble is mating it to an auto box kills the performance and makes it very undecisive it never really can work out which gear it should be in, I've driven a few of these and they are all the same (BMW 530d also suffers this) but I do hate auto boxes so that view is probably biased. The manual box in the volvo is good strong and precise and lets you make the most of the D5's torque and performance. It just depends on your style and type of driving as to the preference.

As you know I am currenlty driving a V50 diesel, but I actually ordered another T5 as it was that good but the dealer seriously screwed up in the order procedure and offered me a deal I just could not refuse on the V50

V70 is a cracking car and not many in the same class can keep up with it, its nearest rival would be the BMW 530d. just my 2p worth

Does this mean that the experiment is over?

Does this mean that the experiment is over?

No, I seriously need to gather and report the data on the forum I have it all but work is really mental as the company I work for has been taken over and I go on holiday this weekend but will get it done. I also need to get the car remapped now, but have had no contact from our remapping friends who I wont name because of forum rules on advertising.

Will pick this up after my hols but also have some other stuff going on that might be of interest.

Sorry for the delay guys but I will get it done :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom