Volvo XC60 D5 Se Lux

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NewMB

Car
2012 535D F11 Sport (Touring)
So, finally collected my new XC60 D5 SE Lux from Lookers Colchester.

First impression are that this is not a small car. In fact, it's huge! The Volvo badge in the front is also very imposing I think. Well done to Volvo. The black does make the car look very big.

After the usual paperwork it was time for Rob & Miles to introduce me to my new car (something becoming a habit since they also did the same thing for my wife's new S40). In fact, none of them have even driven the new D5 engine and are waiting to read this report with great anticipation.

On the outside, Volvo have updated not just the badge, but also added the aluminium lining on the roof. Together with the aluminium strips around all windows and my option, Styling Pack 1 it finishes off the car in black sapphire with all that alumium at the top, centre and bottom very well I think. But then again, this is the whole reason why I opted for the Styling Pack.
thumbs_up.gif

Keyless Go is great, had it on a previous car, and missed it since. Push button, engine starts. Very muted. The usual diesel clatter is not there. At least not when engine is warm (it was 25C degrees!).

Seats are very comfortable, the leather of very high quality. This is one thing I have always liked with Volvo, even the standard leather is a high quality. We will see how it looks like after 10K mls. But judging from a V70 I had, it's durable and strong.

Sat Nav have the new updated graphics and is a work of art. Having had an MB with Comand, I was well impressed by that, but Volvo have, in their latest Sat Nav incarnation gone a few steps further. Accurate too!

The Dynaudio stereo is just awesome! My iPod will now stay in the car...

The Tinted Rear Windows does make the car look like a... "Pimpmobile" according to my daughter!

BLIS works a treat and I have already had the opportunity to test this on the A12. I didn't see that car, but the BLIS did....
thumbs_up.gif

Climate is as always, fantastic in a Volvo.

New steering wheel is really smooth around the aluminum and a tad cooler than the rest to touch. We will see how it is in the winter. Freezing probably.

I chose the Ikea wood and I love it, gives a nice contrast to the rest of the interior and goes really well with the brown stitching of the leather. Of course, this is a personal choice and may not suit everyone. I have had the silver trim (on a rental XC60 I had in Sweden) and didn't like it. Too cold. The walnut wood.... not for me thanks.

Then we have the biggest news. The actual engine. This is Volvo's new D5 with 205 bhp and double turbo. On paper it is stronger and more economical than the old D5, well even the new 2.4D have the same attributes.

Driving off, there is a strong linear power delivery. All during almost complete silence. No turbo lag, no delay, no hesitation from the 6 speed Geartronic box. It all seems to work in harmony.

During our drive, we clocked up some 50 miles or so which included a bit of town driving, country lanes and a bit on the A12, a dualcarriage road at various speeds.

This new engine makes, at least, the XC60 a really quick car. It is not slow and it really picks up the pace with gusto. It's silent too, even under hard acceleration.

Some overtaking tried which was completley effortless.

This is one serious engine.

If anyone wants to know anything, please let me know.

Ok, time for pictures. Some are ok, some are crap due to the very strong and low sun this afternoon.

Enjoy....

3576262213_c704e76fc6_b.jpg

3577061094_ebba2e767e_b.jpg

3577067980_d114b9e900_b.jpg

3577068930_6e5ed63cca_b.jpg

3577064798_e8265d526d_b.jpg

3577066832_34664cb3c2_b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom