Volvo

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by CLSMark, Jul 7, 2017.

1. CLSMark

CLSMark Banned

Car:
    Volkswagen Touareg
    A marque I respect, but something of the Geography teacher about them, image wise I think.

Anyhow, What do you make of the new range and it's styling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood MB Club Veteran

Car:
    BMW 740Li
    I would have bought a V70 a few years ago but couldn't do a deal within my budget.

it drove very well and felt way more solid than the poxy Passat I was driving at the time.

3. OP
    OP
    CLSMark

CLSMark Banned

Car:
    Volkswagen Touareg

No love for the Passat?

4. Happytalk73

Happytalk73 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Vito
    I think, like many manufacturers Volvo have upped their game. They had to because Volvos of old were always associated with the more mature person. Now the designs are fresh and modern. Job well done I say.

5. OP
    OP
    CLSMark

CLSMark Banned

Car:
    Volkswagen Touareg

Particularly the interior. Very Ikea and simple

6. Charles Morgan

Charles Morgan MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
    I won't be buying another Volvo until they stop gouging on servicing and parts.

Apart from that, the new models look great, the drivetrain engineering is excellent and I love the interiors.

7. Happytalk73

Happytalk73 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Vito
    I guess the same can be said for MB. Lots of young A Class owners now. Remember the old shape A Class???

Citroen is another brand that have modernised their designs. Like them or not they sell by the bucket loads and appeal to the younger driver.

8. OP
    OP
    CLSMark

CLSMark Banned

Car:
    Volkswagen Touareg

I'd never buy one, but I like the funky mad Citroen range at the moment. It's Peugeot that need to sort themselves out, if they announced they are never going to make another car again, would anybody really care?

Agreed on the A class. MB have came up trumps there. Love a hot hatch

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  9. PobodY

PobodY Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK350 Sport, Nissan GTiR
    Haven't they lost market share since the new Chinese owners? - I'm sure I read that Volvo is no-longer the best selling marque in Sweden.

10. merc85

merc85 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    s211 e55k
    I like the exterior of them , but the interior's have always let them down, Cheaper looking plastics and design compared to some of there competitors of the same age.

Drivetrains really good but Weak Autobox's, 2006 much more sturdy.

11. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    I would offer Volvos are bought by people who could easily afford a Mercedes, BMW, or Audi but think they look " too brash" Volvo major on understatement which is in itself a "statement" of sorts. :dk:
    Another might be Subaru some of whose top models also have fairly eye watering price lists.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  12. MercedesDriver

MercedesDriver Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S212 E250 CDI; Mini Cooper R50
    Exterior and interior of new models looks modern but I think Volvo has made a big mistake (a lot of Chinese influence probably). For example. V70/XC70 models are obsolete now and new V90/V90 cross is introduced, but stupidly, booth space is much smaller in a newer model. I've tested XC60, V60 and V90 and in none of these I could fit a dog cage which I was able to fit in my V70 tightly. XC90 is too expensive and comes close to MB, Audi and BMW so I wasn't interested at all at that model.
    Worth saying that I had V70 3.2 P3 model for 7 months and it did run well, was very comfortable, very fast and thirsty, rolled like a boat, but that feel Merc gives you was missing. Few things I hated, no brake pad wear sensor :wallbash:, I managed to brake the wheel bolt wrench (says a lot about quality) :dk:, for driving on a continent I had to copy and cut self-adhesive paper and stick it on front lights :devil:, dipped lights can’t be switched off and are always on (3 bulbs changed in 7 months) :fail, Volvo main dealer service (no Volvo indy in my area) had service booking times of a 3-4 weeks. :dk:

13. CCAALLVVIINN

CCAALLVVIINN Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W124 cabriolet, W126 300SE, Land Rover 109 2.6
    I'm a serial volvo owner, currently running a 2011 XC70 with 130k miles, bought new through work, never broken down or had a failed component aside from service items, brake discs and one rear suspension bush

Is uber comfortable with a lovely interior that is easy to use, plenty of space for all and a large boot. Average about 40mpg and makes a lovely 5 cylinder growl

Old fashioned looking on the outside now mind you and lacking in cutting edge technology

Looked for new car recently and visited Volvo, looked at xc90 and v90 xc.

Beautiful looking cars with classy interior design, if you don't choose black with silver trim, about time uk buyers got an imagination

But, we didn't buy either, v90 xc too small in the boot department, xc90 too expensive and too few cylinders (im old fashioned), but, mainly they are no longer reliable I have been told by the techies at the local main dealer

So no longer a Volvo

Bought a discovery 4 which is pure Land Rover even down to the unreliability

14. OP
    OP
    CLSMark

CLSMark Banned

Car:
    Volkswagen Touareg

Re: Land Rover

What were you thinking man!

15. GeeJayW

GeeJayW Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S205 C250d AMG Line P+, MX-5 25th Anniversary Edition
    Had an S60 D5 R-Design hire car a few years ago while on business in Hamburg. Thought it was a nice car to drive. Have also considered getting an XC60 for when we replace our Golf, though having recently spent funds updating to our S205, will probably hang on the Golf until it dies.

16. OP
    OP
    CLSMark

CLSMark Banned

Car:
    Volkswagen Touareg

They say you can pull up to The Savoy, in a Golf, and you won't be moved on for vagrancy.

17. GeeJayW

GeeJayW Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S205 C250d AMG Line P+, MX-5 25th Anniversary Edition
    Ours is a diesel, so I'd probably get thrown in The Tower if I got anywhere near The Savoy!

18. GP801

GP801 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2003 W209 CLK, 2005 R171 SLK in UK, 1995 S124 E280 in Italy
    Our son has an immaculate 1999 V70 which is a great long distance load lugger. Very comfortable. However if you think Mercedes dealers take the mickey over servicing and repair costs you should try Volvo dealers. He takes his from London to Exeter to get a reasonably priced and reliable main dealer

19. Charles Morgan

Charles Morgan MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
    Sadly my experience and that of my Volvo owning neighbours. One was quoted £4000 for "essential" work and after having the local Bosch garage check, came away with a bill for £800 and advice that a further £600 worth may need doing in the next two years.

20. mj2k

mj2k Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2000 Subaru Legacy GT (remapped to 300bhp)
    I think Citroen would, unless they've dramatically changed things in the past couple of months Citroens are just Peugeots in trendy trousers :)

But yeah, Peugeot has been going downhill since the late 90s; my other half's nearly new 2008 (aka C4 Cactus without the plastic bits) is at best 'ordinary'. About the only good things you can say about it are it's pretty economical on the diesel, and the rear seats are easy to fold down. Yawn!

Edit: Wouldn't touch a Citroen again though - their lousy dealers have killed two of my Citroens in the past because their servicing is dangerously shoddy (e.g. they forgot to do up the driveshaft bolts after changing a cv joint gaiter) and head office in Slough always comes out on the side of the dealer so it's not worth raising a complaint; better to avoid them altogether if you value your life.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
Tags: