VPN? between two firewalled up adsls...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guydewdney

MB Enthusiast
Car
906 Sprinter 313cdi
um - how?

ran the wizard - got the other ip address (by asking her to look at fuzzers sig lol) - yet it says no answer...

i know i have a static ip (as i requested it) so i might have to alter it every time, but thats no great shakes.

Or is there another way to transfer huge (30Mb min, up to 1 gig) files from pooter to pooter without using email?

guydewdney said:
um - how?

ran the wizard - got the other ip address (by asking her to look at fuzzers sig lol) - yet it says no answer...

i know i have a static ip (as i requested it) so i might have to alter it every time, but thats no great shakes.

Or is there another way to transfer huge (30Mb min, up to 1 gig) files from pooter to pooter without using email?

Routers or modems? did you see any alerts on the firewall logs?

um - modem router thingys... The firewalls are built into the router (at my end - dunno about hers)

As you might have guessed - i didnt set this up, and it goes slightly out of my knowledgebase. Most of my ports are blocked - I know that.. but was done with a modicum of entligense ;) by a IT director mate..

do you know what routers?

do the routers support VPN on their own at all?

How about just setting up an FTP server on bother computers?

You might want to have a crack at SSH/SFTP - its easier to setup firewall wise than ftp (theres only one static port to open and you dont have to worry about active/passive transfers), and all the traffic is encrypted automatically, so you dont really need a vpn!

Being a linux fan, I've not used it on windows, but theres some info here http://www.openssh.org/windows.html

Good luck! :D

one router is the std thing (iirc) that nthell give you - mines a dlink 504 iirc

ftp sounds like an idea - what im doing atm is to upload to my webspace, and she dl's from it - i then delete it... but thats very slow.

ill ask my mate tomorrow who is a)more knowledgeable than me b) knwos both of us and what kit we have... :D

thanks for the ideas tho chaps

guydewdney said:
...Or is there another way to transfer huge (30Mb min, up to 1 gig) files from pooter to pooter without using email?
Are you both running XP? If you know your friend's IP addy and she know's yours could you not use 'Remote Desktop Connection'? :confused: Description: 'Connect to a computer's desktop from a remote location, and run applications as if you were sitting at its console.' It usually works for me, I use it a far bit at work. Once you have logged into her PC's desktop (she can create an account just for you) copying files is just a matter of dragging files across from one drive to another in Windows Explorer. Similarly, you can create an account for her on your desktop and she could remote login to your PC. If you are running XP have a gander in 'All Programs, Accessories, Communications' that's where Remote Desktop is usually found.

S.

Try Serv-U FTP hosting software... its an absolute breeze.

Alternatively you can use www.yousendit.com for up to 1Gb.

:bannana:

Im on 2000, shes on XP..

yousendit is just a commercial version of what i have (a 60Gb webserver on a T5? line) - no advantage (still and upload / download process) - nice idea tho' :bananna:

I like the idea of just ftp'ing it to her computer (someone has split her HDDs into about a dozen small ones - so her desktop isnt a place i can send a file to - but the J drive is...)

I'll look into remote desktop - if thats possible in 2000

guydewdney said:
Im on 2000, shes on XP..

yousendit is just a commercial version of what i have (a 60Gb webserver on a T5? line) - no advantage (still and upload / download process) - nice idea tho' :bananna:

I like the idea of just ftp'ing it to her computer (someone has split her HDDs into about a dozen small ones - so her desktop isnt a place i can send a file to - but the J drive is...)

I'll look into remote desktop - if thats possible in 2000

Yeah , you would just have to download the client from MS and install IIS on her machine

fuzzer said:
Yeah , you would just have to download the client from MS and install IIS on her machine

no no no dont use IIS, use Serv-u FTP... much simpler, safer and cheaper (free for personal edition)

Sp!ke said:
no no no dont use IIS, use Serv-u FTP... much simpler, safer and cheaper (free for personal edition)

I was replying to the comment , how do i config remote desktop on 2000 rather than the FTP server.

But , fair play on the ftp server , looks pretty sweet :)

If the two computers are both behind firewalls then a degree of port forwarding will be required to allow the computers to talk to each other using whatever software RDP or ftp.

fuzzer said:
I was replying to the comment , how do i config remote desktop on 2000 rather than the FTP server.

I thought you need to enable terminal services rather than IIS...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom