Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme review

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John757

Car
E350CDi Coupe , Gwagen 280GE , SL55 AMG , Audi SQ5 Quattro
Jaffa's Juicy Bits
Jaffa's Juicy Bits
I found this review...its a comprehensive report on these winter tyres...very very interesting read... and well written. (sadly not by me!):thumb:

Sounds like he fitted them to rear only!

Not recommended

Colin.

He fitted 4 winter tyres:

"In fact they were that good in the snow that, when I chose to go out, I was choosing my winter rubber equipped Lexus over the 4WD we also had on the drive. The key difference was that, in the car with winter rubber, it actually stopped when I hit the brakes!"

Although some of it is not exactly factual:

"Winter tyres offer 3 main benefits. Firstly, they usually have 10mm of tread when new, compared to 6mm on a normal tyre."

I have been using these tyres for the last 5 years and new ones have between 7&8mm tread depth, the same as any summer tyre.

Other than that, he is quite correct, these tyres in winter are incredible and I too prefer my RWD MB to any 4X4 on all seasons or summers.

Russ

OMG these tyres are incredible..... 600metere 1in 5 hill where i live... i just drove straight up this hill....at 10mph... not one warning triangle.... drove past neighbour who abandond his Rexon 4x4 which he discribed as all over the road sideways trying to get up the hill..... drove all the way to the top...out onto slushy roads...and around my villiage...back down the hill... only stamping on the brakes triggered the ABS 100% I recommend these tyres... i outstanding cold dry performance... very quiet running.... wet conditions were very grippy...but today was the real test.... WOW it was like driving on a dry road... no side slip... at all.... £634 well spent... who needs 4x4!!!

We have them on a 97 VW Polo. So far they seem really good in the snow. Very quiet too.

they are very good tyres, very effective in the snow
like night and day on a C63 from undriveable they convert the car to normal use with no wheelspin even if the throttle is used generously

the best bit is they send huge plumes of snow into the air when you stamp on the throttle - totally unnecessary but fun if you have time to look in the rearview mirror:D

How much?!?!? Some of us on here aren't exactly "flush" when it comes to this kind of thing!

How much?!?!? Some of us on here aren't exactly "flush" when it comes to this kind of thing!

Cheaper than a second winter 4x4 car.... plus they extend the life of your summer tyres by about 2-3 years.... which you would end up forking out for anyway.. its cost effective..not to slide off the road and loose your NCD i realize not everyone can afford them for their Merc .but i got a quote of £47 each for my son's 1.1 Polo...

if you can afford them.... i would say its the best thing i ever bought for my car... bar none... last few winters i couldnt even get off the driveway... zero grip on summer tryes.:bannana:

plus they extend the life of your summer tyres by about 2-3 years....

How do they do that when you only need winter tyres for a week a year?

How do they do that when you only need winter tyres for a week a year?

Winter tyres are not all about Snow!

They grip better than Summer rubber in temps below 7 C so basically most informed peeps fit em around late Oct early November and leave em on till March ish.

That's what I do and it works very well. :cool:

They grip better than Summer rubber in temps below 7 C so basically most informed peeps fit em around late Oct early November and leave em on till March ish.

Is there any evidence to support that view?

Tyres quickly warm up to well above 7c in use.

+1 for these tyres. When temperatures drop as we exit summer the triangle makes more appearances and the Vreds transform my C63. Makes the car totallt drivable. I use the winter tyres from about Oct/Nov throught to April time.

From my experiences I think they are worthwhile, and for my W202 I am considering these to be the all year round tyres.

Kamal

+1 for these tyres. When temperatures drop as we exit summer the triangle makes more appearances and the Vreds transform my C63. Makes the car totallt drivable. I use the winter tyres from about Oct/Nov throught to April time.

From my experiences I think they are worthwhile, and for my W202 I am considering these to be the all year round tyres.

Kamal

Is there any evidence to support that view?

Tyres quickly warm up to well above 7c in use.

i think theres a view that in normal cold weather driving the tyre temperature stays lower as its less stressed but and i think the reference to air temperature is easier to measure as actual tyre temperature will vary from situation to situation
but it does beg the (your)question

certainly back in the real world i had vreds on last year and the difference was significant

i think theres a view that in normal cold weather driving the tyre temperature stays lower as its less stressed but and i think the reference to air temperature is easier to measure as actual tyre temperature will vary from situation to situation
but it does beg the (your)question

Until yesterday I had rather worn tyres on my car (2mm front, 3mm rear) but other than on settled snow had no traction issues at all and noticed that the water and snow collected on them evaporated off even in minus temperatures.

I'm not convinced that temperature plays any part at all, certainly above 0c.

The problem with peoples reports of tyres is that they are subjective. Most people can't drive in snow and most people are replacing worn summer tyres with new winter tyres.

Winter tyres are not all about Snow!

That's what I do and it works very well. :cool:

I'm aware of what the rumours and facts are regarding winter tyres. I lived in germany and do know that winter tyres are better in certain conditions. If we had snow for any prolonged periods then I would consider them.
In the uk, they are an expensive option that make people feel vindicated when we get a tiny amount of snow.
I get around on my summer tyres just fine.

How does the mileage you get from modern snow tyres compare to summer equivalants? Does the softer rubber wear out a lot faster?

How does the mileage you get from modern snow tyres compare to summer equivalants? Does the softer rubber wear out a lot faster?

Just looked back and I get no more than 14,000 miles from a set of rear summer tyres on my C32, and the current winter tyres have done more than 16,000 miles - whilst very obviously worn, they have plenty of tread too.

I'll have to look for my depth gauge to measure what's left, but they actually last longer strangely. Must be be because the P-Zeros I use for summer tyres are even softer!!

Just looked back and I get no more than 14,000 miles from a set of rear summer tyres on my C32, and the current winter tyres have done more than 16,000 miles - whilst very obviously worn, they have plenty of tread too.

I'll have to look for my depth gauge to measure what's left, but they actually last longer strangely. Must be be because the P-Zeros I use for summer tyres are even softer!!
Presumably tyres have an easier life in poor conditions too, reduced cornering speeds and throttle and brake applications.
If P-Zeros are softer won't they offer better grip in cold but not snowy conditions?

Presumably tyres have an easier life in poor conditions too, reduced cornering speeds and throttle and brake applications.
If P-Zeros are softer won't they offer better grip in cold but not snowy conditions?

They were fitted in November 2010 and were not removed for Summer, and so so have seen the same use as a Summer tyre would have - two winters, two summers, now into third winter - so not just more cautious driving in winter.

Strange, they've lasted really really well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom