VRP Carbon Airbox & Pythons fitted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scorcher

Car
2004 E55 AMG
There is very little choice when it comes to E55 airboxes, and none of them cheap -

Renntech - $3500 :eek:
Gruppe M - $3300 :eek:
VRP - about 2/3s of either :)

A couple of months ago I found a brand new VRP airbox on eBay.com, for a few hundred dollars less than retail, so snapped it up :)

After three weeks, the airbox finally arrived. And 10 days after that, the instructions and fitting kit appeared :rolleyes: - so time to get fitting :cool:

Gorgeous piece of carbon fibre, with a couple of high performance air filters to match.

The VRP Carbon Fiber Airbox adds an attractive look to your engine bay as well as increasing HP by changing the path and volume of airflow of the OEM box. The VRP CF airbox is able to offer gains between 10 and 15 hp. Inner fiber layers consisting of alumina-ceramic fiber woven into a composite binder matrix, substantially reduces inlet air temperature. Observed temperature reductions of 30-35% cold vs. hot side at typical engine bay temperatures.

Standard engine bay

airboxgap4.jpg

Off came the AMG airbox, and on went the VRP - but then I came across a bit of a problem.....

airboxgap3.jpg

...don't really want small children and wildlife being sucked into that gap :(

My first thought was that I'd fitted it incorrectly, so removed it, and replaced it twice more - same problem :mad:

The problem was solved after posting on a US forum - turns out the airbox I was sold was part of a limited run for E55s with the uprated 80mm Throttle Body Kit - and if I wanted one of them, it'd cost a merry $1999.99 :eek:

So put the old airbox back on, then sulked for a week or so - had already left feedback for the eBay seller (who either didn't know or more likely didn't care he was selling a non-standard box).

Thought about using a foam rubber sheath, but worried about engine bay temps - it gets VERY hot around a remapped 5.4l supercharged engine.

How about a silicone reducer? Found one that was just the right width at each end, and easily trimmed down to fit perfectly :D

airbox-reducer.jpg

While waiting for the airbox to appear from the US, I accidentally ordered the VRP Python air intake tubes...

PythonTubes.jpg

Volume increase of almost 50% over stock air tubes, an improvement of approximately 2050cc for the set. Improved air flow with reduced inlet restrictions, maximum aperture cross-section increased by 35% over stock. Inner fiber layers of alumina-ceramic fiber as used in VRP airbox minimize inlet air temperature.

PythonTubes_2_LRG.jpg

...so fitted those too

airbox-wide.jpg

airbox-wide2.jpg

The result? Great looks, a little more woofle and rumble, and a few more horses :cool:

Looks nice and the theory is good.

You could do with knowing whether there realy is any more airflow and reduced restriction, vacuum and flow gauges would help here as would a dyno run.

Just got the aluminium charger casing to clean up now...;)

Last edited:
Yup as DM said, looks good but would be nice to know how much the actual power gain is.

Yes, looks good, but I'd like to know who in their right mind spends $3500 on carbon airboxes?

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

On the M119 engines a bigger airbox makes zero gains, has been tested by a few different people.

I doubt the extra volume would make diddly squat difference. But the temperature difference can be quite profound as carbon fibre is a great insulator, for a supercharged car this is even more important. 1°C inlet temp drop is multiplied a few times in the charge temp going into the engine.

Looks like a nicely made piece of kit.

Keep an eye on the laquer though as the Renntech kits for the M119 go green due to the high engine bay temps and start to look tatty after a year or so.

Dave!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom