VW/Audi 5th gear modification

Discussion in 'Engine' started by Adam230K, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Adam230K

Adam230K Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    German oil burner
    Hi Guys,

I'm contemplating modifying my 5th gear to make it longer on the VW, because I've read it is fairly simple to do. However I have not seen one successful write-up with pics or any info on where to get the parts using google!

My car is averaging 60mpg at 70mph on motorways most of the time but I know for a fact if I could get it to rev lower this will improve, and I spend most of my time on the motorway at present, so this mod makes sense.

Does anyone know of someone who has done this?

2. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
  3. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Member

Car:
    B
    Easy! check out the Audi A2 forum, lots of pics, Mike (Skipton) is the co owner of the forum and will source the required parts and do the job for you.

There is lots of info on the different ratio's available too, and many members running the mod.

A2OC

Skipton is based near Manchester, but you could always have a day out while he does the job.

1 person likes this.
  4. JohnnyW202

JohnnyW202 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2004 Mercedes E270CDI Elegance Saloon, 2004 C200 Kompressor Estate Avantgarde SE Sport Pack
    My Octavia had it done, a 110 VE TDI, with a Van Aken Tuning Box.

It didn't make any significant difference to the MPG achieved at high speed and also it made the car alot less responsive at lower speed i.e 50-70. I really wouldn't bother risking damage to your gearbox for the neglectable results.

5. wemorgan

wemorgan MB Club Veteran

Car:
    A205 C220d
    If it's to make the cabin quieter I think it's worthwhile, but if it's to save money I'm not sure the sums quite stack up.

As above A2OC is a good starting place.

What's your rpm at 70mph?

6. OP
    OP
    Adam230K

Adam230K Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    German oil burner
    about 2.5k at 70mph

7. JohnnyW202

JohnnyW202 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2004 Mercedes E270CDI Elegance Saloon, 2004 C200 Kompressor Estate Avantgarde SE Sport Pack
    Wait are you looking to do this on your polo?

It was my understanding you could only do it on the earlier Pre-PD 1.9TDi Engines with the 5 Speed Gearbox, but then my Octavia was a 2000MY. That's quite low mine was about 2,700 and 3,000 at 80.

8. wemorgan

wemorgan MB Club Veteran

Car:
    A205 C220d
    This modification has been done to Audi A2 1.4TDI which I gather has the same engine and gearbox as the Polo.

9. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    ^ And did it work, or did it make the gearing too tall for the available torque?

10. wemorgan

wemorgan MB Club Veteran

Car:
    A205 C220d
    I've not done it to my car, it's only what I've read about A2 forum member's cars.

I think all the cars that have had this modification are also remapped. I've not read of anyone saying that the gearing is too tall afterwards.