VW lying about 'cleaned diesel'...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Still doesn't bother me I still have one of their 300 bhp monsters on order :D

The way VAG are heading I'd get it on a dyno just to make sure it's not 103bhp!

Could easily end up costing VW more in fines than the BP spill. Could finish them?

Paul

Could easily end up costing VW more in fines than the BP spill. Could finish them?

Paul

VW are listed as one of the top 10 companies in the "too big to fail list" this will hurt but it wont be the end. Coupled with that the German government won't let them fail, or more importantly the German government will make sure VW are not allowed to be brought down by the USA. USA need Germany far more than the other way around.

Paul

If it does, it'll be a very slow death.

They can be "too big to fail" as much they want but if people stop buying their vehicles or they really start haemorrhaging cash it is possible that they'll become a shell of what they were.

If it does, it'll be a very slow death.

They can be "too big to fail" as much they want but if people stop buying their vehicles or they really start haemorrhaging cash it is possible that they'll become a shell of what they were.

Thats the point though, probably now with the exception of the USA, VW have massive brand loyalty far much more than any other German manufacturer, so people won't stop buying their cars, they can hemorrhage for years without too much trouble but the German government simply wont let it happen.

Can you imagine a world without a VW Golf? It's never going to happen :D

they can hemorrhage for years without too much trouble but the German government simply wont let it happen.

Conservative estimates indicate a €20-40bn cost of the scandal which isn't small change to any company in the world, no matter how big.

But... I'd be astounded if it did bring them down, Germans have a very enviable record of protecting big industries so I'm sure this will be ridden out although they will be battered and bruised by it, of that there is no doubt.

The problem is that this is escalating to the point where it is likely that it will soon drag in other companies.

My guess is that VAG are going through anything that might cause a problem if they were scrutinised and they're declaring it.

At the same time by declaring everything and being able to confidently swear to 'there is not anything more' VAG will be able to draw a line under it andf perhaps avoid further deep scrutiny.

Now this is almost certainly gong to cause a problem for some other manufacturers. If VAG 'fessing up to something that they do then if they subsequently get caught it not having 'fessed up themselves it will look wrong - if they quietly roll out a recall or do updates during services they will look very wrong.

So I suspect there are quite a few busy people in other companies working out their exposure and talking to lawyers.

I will be very surprising if we don't see some declarations from other manufacturers.

Conservative estimates indicate a €20-40bn cost of the scandal which isn't small change to any company in the world, no matter how big.

But... I'd be astounded if it did bring them down, Germans have a very enviable record of protecting big industries so I'm sure this will be ridden out although they will be battered and bruised by it, of that there is no doubt.

It won't be that high, thats just media frenzy fueling the fire. Until the EPA publish the full findings then no one can say for sure what the level of damages will be and then they can only guess as courts in the US have their own unique way of dealing with these things. Given the cooperation the USA need from the German government they are unlikely to impose the maximum fines possible but make them large enough to make an example out of VW and send out a clear message to other manufacturers.

The cost of rectifying the cars affected is seen as small change within VW

Germany may protect their industries but the USA don't hold back when it comes to fining foreign companies.

Germany may protect their industries but the USA don't hold back when it comes to fining foreign companies.

Microsoft probably thinks the same of the EU.

I think there is bias in part nationalistic - in part the better facility / leverage to lobby in one's own locale - that works whereever you are in the world.

The US system is IMO naturally more punitive and more politically driven to get a result than the EU or UK.

My sister has one of the nox affected cars on a pcp. Just before the scandal hit the news she had agreed to change it early for a new car - another VW
She is not bothered by the fuss, she's getting the deal she wanted on the new car - total brand loyalty

IUntil the EPA publish the full findings then no one can say for sure what the level of damages will be

It sounds as if VW have - after an initial denial - put up their hand up to the issue of testing the 3.0 V6 engines.

The EPA's published letter was quite specific about a couple of aspects o the software that means there is not just scrutiny of testing going on but detailed scrutiny of the function and implementation of the software and hardware as well.

I would not be surprised if the EPA is figuring that now it has its teeth into VAG that if they go in really hard they'll get other manufacturers spooked to the extent that they come forward and make any necessary admissions.

Looks like Renault may have been up to something...

'I have new cheat box!' Protester interrupts Volkswagen presentation in Geneva

[YOUTUBE HD]qt-fNNe0OTs[/YOUTUBE HD]

I was in the USA briefly last month and, interestingly given that's where this all blew up, FOX News were reporting VW group sales up 20% in January compared to the previous month.
Just as I suspected at the time, consumers in general and US consumers, in particular, are a fickle lot. Probably won't stop them still demanding compensation though. :D

The dealership I work for also has a lot of VAG brands and it's looking like things have already blown over from the sales this year. It hasn't had the lasting effect that was originally expected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom