VW lying about 'cleaned diesel'...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wonder how many new private buyers--if any--- have shifted from diesel to petrol in the wake of these relevations?? That's if the manufacturer/uk importer gives them that choice of course. :rolleyes:

I'd be surprised if once the faux outrage subsided, it actually had much of an effect on the way most consumers made their buying choices.

That's not to say VW weren't wrong in fitting this defeat device and I'm sure it will still cost them a fortune, but I always thought it would blow over fairly rapidly. The fact of the matter is VAG clearly make a lot of cars that consumers find desirable and there's nowt quite like a shiny new, well built car to cause buyers to go weak at the knees. :)

Last edited:
Not sure if its been mentioned in this thread but everyone of VW's diesels and Petrols have passed the CO2 re-testing that was demanded and every one was found to be accurate and not misleading. So it is only the NOx issue that is out of limits which is the same as other manufacturers but VW broke the law by fitting illegal defeat devices, other manufacturers did not but have the same issue that NOx limits are above legislation limits in real world conditions

It would appear that first quarter 2016 VAG sales are unaffected by "Dieselgate" but VW passenger car sales are down by 1.3 %
VW emissions scandal: global sales up in 2016 despite dieselgate crisis | Auto Express
These figures are not so good for UK VW owners as they are being used as an excuse not pay any compensation for loss of value . US owners will get $1000 in addition to any required modifications to their cars. UK cars will require less modification than US cars due to less strict emission standards and many will require only software modification or the addition of what VW call a flow transformer [ tuning box?] Despite assurances that fuel consumption will unaffected by these modifications to make UK cars compliant it does pose the question if that is the case why didn't they make these " simple mods " in the first place. My bet is the cars will either use slightly more fuel or lose power /drivability. I suspect 3 little porky pies from the big bad Wolfsburg.:rolleyes:

The last VW I owned, two and a half years ago, was a deeply unimpressive car.

Uncomfortable.
Poor fuel economy at motorway speeds
Tiring to drive due to general 'buzziness'
wallowy ride
poor paint quality
Slow
Black

I moved from Diesel (Golf GTD) to Petrol (/Hybrid c350e), but mainly as my style of driving changed (Muss less longer trips) - much more 5-10mile trips.
Almost perfect timing as the petrol dropped, unfortunatley on its way up.

ignoring the emmissions side, they're all lying cheating so and so's until all the tests (despite being on an equal platform) actually return real world or at least semi-real world MPG / emissions etc...

I wouldnt be surprised by the marginal loss of sales, and again by the growth in some diesels. The emissions 'Scandal' didnt really shock people, as tbh... it was pretty common knowledge all of these tests were a load of rubbish generally - so VW 'Lying' - meh - worts of a bad bunch maybe but no way on their own. :)

I'd like to think most customers are clever enough to consider all the rubbish they are told when buying a car :) - as well as some of the truths hehe :)

Honestly i'd buy another Golf without second quibble if needs arise again. It was a beautiful car to drive, a fun work horse and was so well built / designed.

Perhaps all VAG products in future should be sold in plain packaging (not that they are particularly exciting to the eye as they are) as cigarettes are. VAG's contribution to asthma surpasses passive smoking's.

Perhaps all VAG products in future should be sold in plain packaging (not that they are particularly exciting to the eye as they are) as cigarettes are. VAG's contribution to asthma surpasses passive smoking's.

They could also do as cigarette packets and, instead of, showing rotting teeth or blackened lungs on the side show photos of yawning people.

What a load of Bollo ;)

Show me evidence that passive smoking is more harmful than diesel emissions to public health.

I suppose carrying kids in your car whilst an adult is smoking is illegal yet leading a hose direct from the exhaust pipe to the interior is not illegal counts?
:D

I was referring to your VW waffle only

If you were a little less abrasive....

I suppose carrying kids in your car whilst an adult is smoking is illegal yet leading a hose direct from the exhaust pipe to the interior is not illegal counts?
:D

No one smoked in a car with the intention of killing their offspring. Only one reason to connect a car interior and exhaust with a hose.

If you were a little less abrasive....

No one smoked in a car with the intention of killing their offspring. Only one reason to connect a car interior and exhaust with a hose.

SoH Pill time I think :doh:

_89394648_hi031410240.jpg

Well United Kingdom VW owners will be delighted to hear of their fellow VW owners in the USA who are on the brink of reception of a $15 billion compensation settlement for "dieselgate" The deal would offer to repair or buy back the affected diesel vehicles and pay owners compensation, according to sources close to the talks.

VW US emissions settlement reported to cost $15bn - BBC News

Last edited:
The latest news on the VW dieselgate front appears to be that the free software revision for affected models seems to be causing a range of running problems on some cars. The most frequent failure appears to be associated with the EGR/EGR cooler.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/volkswagen-denies-its-dieselgate-fix-causes-breakdowns
the software revision in question explained thus??

“In essence, the affected vehicle’s injection phase has been split from a single injection into multiple injections which results in an improved burning process in the engine. The software update also increases the affected vehicles’ Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) rate, which results in lower nitrogen oxides (NOx) production. Improvements in the combustion process ensure that this increase in the EGR rate (which lowers NOx levels) does not have a detrimental impact on particulate levels”

Well dieselgate has finally caught up with one VW executive. Ex-Volkswagen executive pleads guilty
Oliver Schmidt, a former head of VW's engineering and environmental office in the US, admitted to participating in an attempted cover-up after regulators raised questions the "defeat devices". He faces up to seven years in prison, and up to $400,000 (£306,000) in fines.
Mr Schmidt was one of six people charged related to the scheme in January. The 5 others live in Germany and needless to say won't be travelling to the US in the near future!

Mr Schmidt was one of six people charged related to the scheme in January. The 5 others live in Germany and needless to say won't be travelling to the US in the near future!

Que the 'Rendition Specials" with the blacked-out windows touching down at Prestwick to refuel.

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom