VW lying about 'cleaned diesel'...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21759258

'....And the tricks are widely used, according to Mr Archer.

"They didn't used to manipulate the tests, but they do now," he says.

"We're in a competitive situation, where carmakers compete to get the most favourable results in the tests."

There is no evidence that carmakers are breaking any formal rules, Transport & Environment points out. "But they don't need to," it says. "The current test procedures are so lax there is ample opportunity to massage the test results." '

That's from 2013, 'defeat device' not actually mentioned, but it is clear that the industry's cultural foundation which led to the current scandal has been layed many years ago.... you could say that the writing was on the wall.

Last edited:
This is from 14th September, which I believe predates the break out of the current VW scandal:

http://www.transportenvironment.org/press/just-one-10-new-diesel-cars-clean-legal-limit-report-finds

'... The main reason is Europe’s testing system is obsolete, allowing carmakers to use cheaper, less effective exhaust treatment systems in cars sold in Europe, according to newly released data.

In contrast, diesel cars sold by the same manufacturers in the US, where limits are tighter and tests are more rigorous, have better exhaust treatment systems and produce lower emissions.'

Ahmmmm...

Last edited:
...so it seems that what everyone knew about was the 'tax avoidance', but the active 'tax evasion' was a step further which the experts were not expecting.

brucemillar said:
Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

And so it begins!

Attachments

• image-3799781699.jpg
    image-3799781699.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 43
Slight hijack.
Bbc4 at 21:00 looks very interesting and timely.
Thank you Ted for the heads up on this one. I watched the programme with interest and would recommend to anyone that they watch on iplayer.

I think this is going to blow up big time for the whole industry. The dealership group I work for also have VW group manufacturers and they have had cancelled orders already. I think it damages peoples view of the industry, which I have no doubt is already bad. It'll definitely have a knock on effect for other brands, even if they don't directly get caught out.

Really? Because of the lack of economy, or BIK fears. The latter I'd suspect.

someone gonni be in deep sheet over this fiasco :(

attachment.php

Last edited:
Thank you Ted for the heads up on this one. I watched the programme with interest and would recommend to anyone that they watch on iplayer.

Echoed, thanks Ted - I caught the last half hour and the Deltic section prompted my HS2 response in Off Topic today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? Because of the lack of economy, or BIK fears. The latter I'd suspect.

I don't think they will adjust the registered emissions for cars already out there, I think they'll just fine VW. I don't personally think that existing VW owners should be worried, I just think there's going to be big issues with VW shifting built but unregistered cars.

I just think there's going to be big issues with VW shifting built but unregistered cars.

Certainly in the U.S. for sure. As for Europe and in particular the U.K., VW will initially try to bluff it out stating this was an issue with U.S. cars only and it's business as usual. Of course there's every possibility that PCP's and Lease deals will be 'adjusted' due to this scandal and it could be a great time to squeeze out a deal at the local dealership, time will tell. I well look at leasing rates on their vans come November.

The stockmarket " take" on the affair seems to be business as usual --- I'm not so sure. https://www.fool.co.uk/investing/20...er-gkn-plc-jubilee-platinum-plc-inchcape-plc/

One possible long term outcome might be much more stringent restrictions if not an outright ban to diesel engined private vehicles in European cities. This is already on the way in certain European states but latest developments may accelerate things. Just something to be aware of if buying with an eye to longer term ownership. :dk:

Certainly in the U.S. for sure. As for Europe and in particular the U.K., VW will initially try to bluff it out stating this was an issue with U.S. cars only and it's business as usual. Of course there's every possibility that PCP's and Lease deals will be 'adjusted' due to this scandal and it could be a great time to squeeze out a deal at the local dealership, time will tell. I well look at leasing rates on their vans come November.

VW admitted this morning they have manipulated the test the same way in Europe!

So seeing that VW have stopped selling the affected models in America does that mean that this will also apply in Europe? No more Passat's me thinks as they don't do a petrol version. Also what about trade in values? I read somewhere that one company won't buy VW's for the moment.

VW admitted this morning they have manipulated the test the same way in Europe!

Great stuff, the cost of leasing should be the price of a Mars bar & a packet of crisps per month so! :D

No more Passat's me thinks as they don't do a petrol version.

They do.

Manufacturers such as MB and VAG offer different selections of models in different markets.

Diesels predominate amongst larger cars here. That is not the case elsewhere and VW offer a petrol engine Passat in other markets.

So how does all this affect owners? Increased VED? Reduced mpg?

Apart from not saving the planet the way they all thought they were, what's the bottom line?

'Mr Winterkorn said... that he was "not aware of any wrongdoing on my part" but was acting in the interest of the company.'

This sounds very much like 'I did not have a sexual relationship with that woman'..... :D

'Mr Winterkorn said... that he was "not aware of any wrongdoing on my part" but was acting in the interest of the company.'

This sounds very much like 'I did not have a sexual relationship with that woman'..... :D

Alternative Translation:

"By bye ordinary employees - I'm going off to spend and enjoy my millions - you clean up the sh*t storm and worry about your jobs - I'll send you a postcard."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom