VW Phaeton 3.2 V6 4 Motion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And JC absolutely loved it... though he was driving the W engine at the time.

The S class is in a different league. I do like the pheaton, i do like the older A8 not the new one as that makes me feel sick, as does the new 7.

Theres always a reason for why its cheaper. Our S320 CDI is for sale at the moment, granted its low mileage and super high spec but its still worth more than a 1 year old pheaton

Off to MB tomorrow to see what they have

Got a good p/ex offer on the CL from VW though - £9500 and I think that may move if I warm up a bit.

When I wanted to buy a C55 estate from MB last year they "struggled" to offer me £8000

I beleive the Skoda Superb is also built on the same floor pan, so we have Bently, Phaeton and Skoda...................

Stick to a Mercedes, you know it makes sense:D

VW dealers don't really know how to maintain them - apparently every VW dealership has one person that had Phaeton training - but even so they seem to be scratching their heads for anything more that a straightforward problem.
Unfortunately that can apply to 4Motion in general, too. My Sharan V6 4Motion (mechanically similar to the car in question, I think) developed an intermittent drivetrain vibration that three main dealers (one in Germany, two in UK) were unable to resolve.

Got a good p/ex offer on the CL from VW though - £9500 and I think that may move if I warm up a bit.

When I wanted to buy a C55 estate from MB last year they "struggled" to offer me £8000

As you know, the P/X offer does not mean much and it is more down to how the dealer decides to go about the haggling process.

Neither will probabaly give you this sum in cash for your car if you were not buying another car... and the dealer that offered the higher P/X (VW in this case) would have been able to give you a bigger discount off the asking price if you decided to buy without P/X.

I suspect that the higher P/X offer simply reflects the fact that everything else being equal, the VW will go for bigger discount than the Merc off the asking price.

comparing to the S-Class I think the VW is a slightly better option than an ageing S220 but not in the same postcode as the S221. 4wd will have its benefits after the last 2 winters we have had.

Out of interest, what is the mileage/year and price of the Phaeton?

Gents
I've just driven the car over rural lanes, 70 mph dual carriageway and urban streets.

One word - impressed!

It's near silent with a nice growl when pressed to about 4K RPM.
It's no slouch either - plenty fast enough for me for overtaking, etc.

Handles as well as the CL, very solid presence on the road but does not feel as big.

Steering precise, brakes good, gearchange earily seamless.

Mindblowing stereo, (better than the one in my home) lovely feel to all buttons and controls, materials perfect.

Very tasteful analogue clock in centre of dash - nice.

Seats, comfortable (reminds me of Saab), electric adjustments very precise.

Does not have MB turning circle. Had to faff a bit on the drive to turn it round.

Suprisingly, no phone kit or Bluetooth though - definitely need the phone for work.

Tyres seemed quite hot / warm ?? when we got back - never noticed that on CL

I'm very keen.

Main VW dealer 12 month warranty, also 50K service before collection, 12 months tax, MOT, transfer my plate, touch up a few very minor paint chips / scratches, replace wheel centres.

He's going to see about the phone and give me his best price to change tomorrow.

Doubt if service costs are any different to MB

Insurance is a lot cheaper than the CL with half the excess.

You could put an MB, BMW, Audi badge on this and it would double in price.

Sorry sweetpea - It's a 2005 @ 50K miles and up for £13K!! £50K new ?
It's petrol so not many takers at the moment.

Wow... that's a LOT of car for this money..

The part/ex price in the book is £8500 for the Phaeton with those^^ details....:rolleyes:
Room for manoeuvre, I think ;)

However - you could try Sell My Car | Sell Your Car | Sell Used Car Online | Sell Car. You will get a quote showing what they would be willing to pay for your car, and if it is higher than what you are actually offered then you can print it out and take it to the dealer... said that, don't be tempted to actually sell you car to Sell My Car | Sell Your Car | Sell Used Car Online | Sell Car, apparently their online valuation are quite high but I am told that when you actually turn-up then each and every paint scratch takes a big bite off your 'promised' pay...

markjay - We buy any car = 7,795.01

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom