VW Polo gone - replaced by a ….. Hymer!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulXC

SUPPORTER
Car
2018 E220d S213 ||| 2012 E500 4.7 V8 Bi-Turbo Cabrio ||| 2021 Mercedes Sprinter Hymer Camper Van
Well … after three and half years of sterling service our much loved runabout VW Polo has gone. Well I say gone … it’s been long term ‘borrowed’ by cost centre 2 ( number 2 daughter ). Doubt we will ever see it back…

So we’ve replaced it with this ….
Version 2.jpg

2018 Hymer Exsis-I. It’s Fiat Ducato based so not the most refined drive in the world but beautifully kitted out inside. Have already done a week in Scotland as a shakedown trip before heading to Europe in September for a mooch around tour of various places to be decided on as we go.

It's very easy to drive - only 7m long and 2.3 wide and Left Hand Drive which was a real bonus on the single-track roads in the Highlands. Also has a big garage in the back for the mountain bikes and kit.

Should be fun!

You got some big midges splatted on your front number plate while up here !

There's no doubt about it, the Hymer's are fabulously finished. Hope you really enjoy using it, but please try not to be a mobile road-block if you go to the Alps as I'll be there on a motorbike in September ;) :)

Managed to avoid most of the blighters by staying East and North - avoided the West coast areas as the midge forecast looked severe!

Reactions: 219
Looks fantastic 👌🏻

That’s stunning. 👍 health to enjoy.

As above, would love to see some interior pics.

What's the fuel consumption like in one of those things?

I got an average 28.5mpg on my trip to the Highlands - about 50% motorway, 20% A road and 30% single track, hilly and plenty of stop start. On a steadier run its more like 32mpg. It's about the same as my E500!

Very smart , when are the interior shots being posted?

A few interior pics...

The beds in the back convert to a king-size double and there is another drop down bed over the cab seats. Pretty sorted old bus really, LPG system to run heating and hot water boiler. Solar panels to back up the leisure battery. Nice big garage for the mountain bikes - with a charge ports for E-Bikes if you are plugged in on a site or I may fit an inverter to give 240v off-grid.

Now I'm gonna find some big mountains in Europe and use is a base to ride my bike. I had all these trips planned pre-Covid as I'm pretty free time-wise from this year. Originally they were going to be a 'transport bike in back of car and use hotels' type of thing but, I had a a-think!

We went for this one as it one of the few motorhomes that will sit under the 3500kg limit with a reasonable payload on board. I have about 400kg spare after allowing for driver, fuel and water. I can up-plate it to 3850kg if I want to carry more load as I have a C1 licence but then there are parking, speed restrictions and extra road toll charge to consider.

Hymer - 1.jpg

Hymer - 2.jpg

Hymer - 3.jpgHymer - 4.jpgHymer - 5.jpg

Loved our Hymer. Was an old school one and wish we could afford another as well as our Static! Would love to find someone to do a swop for a two week stretch.....

Friends of ours are retired and live in France. They have a Hymer that they use extensively for touring all over continental Europe and, quite understandably, it's on French plates.

A couple of years ago we met up with them in Saumur, us staying in a hotel while on a motorcycle trip and them on a campsite in their Hymer, which was the first time I'd seen it. I noticed a couple of Welsh Dragon emblems on it (Steve's Welsh, but not normally nationalist in attitude) which I enquired about. "Yeah", said Steve, "Because it's on French plates people keep coming up to us and jabbering away in French when we're on campsites, so I put the Welsh Dragon emblems on it and they now leave us alone". 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom