[W]inter / [S]port mode ? C32

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blackscooby

Car
W203 C32 AMG, Honda VFR Vtec, Peugeot 205 GTi rally car
Hi Folks,

Muppet question for you... Yesterday I inadvertantly drive on Winter mode (W shown on display). The fuel consumption was WAY better at nearly 25MPG on my commute against 20MPG driving in S mode.

Is W mode safe to use day in day out ? The car is actually better to drive on my commute in W mode as it "slurs" the gears smoother and is generally less agressive. Apparently the AMG's have a 35% quicker box than standard and it's quite abrupt in Sport.

There is no info in the handbook about driving in W mode.

Thanks

Mark

blackscooby said:
There is no info in the handbook about driving in W mode.

Are you sure?

The standard mode is generally programmed to shorten engine warmup time by delaying up-shifts when cold. I don't think winter mode does that. Also be aware that W/S selector switch problems are quite common ... having once had mine stuck in W mode for a day I avoid playing with it now!

blackscooby said:
Hi Folks,

Muppet question for you... Yesterday I inadvertantly drive on Winter mode (W shown on display). The fuel consumption was WAY better at nearly 25MPG on my commute against 20MPG driving in S mode.
Hi Mark,
What's in a name??? Different models give these modes different titles. I think the most common one at present on the newer models is S = Standard C = Comfort but I stand to be corrected.

My personal take on this is that your 'W' mode, or our 'C' mode will definitely offer better fuel figures but you might loose tenths of seconds when pulling away from traffic lights!! (maybe even a whole second) In this mode the vehicle pulls away in second gear, but if you want to over-ride this then simply floor the throttle.

Being a non driver :D I have no preference, but if you've got it then flaunt it.

Regards
John

Main thing to watch out for is the transmission fluid if using "W" or "C" in heavy traffic, especially in hot weather.

There is more fluid shear (which is why you get the softer response) and that generates more heat which in turn tends to increases the break down rate of the fluid.

Changing fluid now and again is a good idea anyway. (I recall a post a while back which said MB have at last ditched the "sealed for life" rubbish and some models now have a scheduled 60,000 mile fluid change.

Satch said:
Main thing to watch out for is the transmission fluid if using "W" or "C" in heavy traffic, especially in hot weather.
Excellent point.

John

When we picked up the E Class from Germany the chap at Sindelfingen said not to use W unless the conditions were very icy or snowing as the gearbox could get too hot.

My Saab had Sport, Normal and Winter.
Sport and Normal are equivalent to S and C on the Murky B's. W only allowed you to accelerate gently and kept you in as high a gear as possible, i.e. ideal winter driving habits. I guess that would also equate to economy driving.

marcos said:
When we picked up the E Class from Germany the chap at Sindelfingen said not to use W unless the conditions were very icy or snowing as the gearbox could get too hot.

I have to say I find that very hard to believe. Not, I hasten to add that he didnt say it to you, but the veracity of the statement itself. I could see starting in a higher gear would produce more fluid shear in the torque converter but after that there should be no difference unless it doesnt permit changing right up the box to higher gears? If there was a potential overheating problem by running in W mode it would surely mention it in the handbook. This is on the understanding that W (WINTER) C (COMFORT) and E (ECONOMY) are essentially the same?

Last edited:
The fuel consumption was WAY better at nearly 25MPG on my commute against 20MPG driving in S mode.

:eek::eek:

must say you get more mpg than me, my average is about 17mpg :(

Satch said:

There is more fluid shear (which is why you get the softer response) and that generates more heat which in turn tends to increases the break down rate of the fluid.

Changing fluid now and again is a good idea anyway. (I recall a post a while back which said MB have at last ditched the "sealed for life" rubbish and some models now have a scheduled 60,000 mile fluid change.

Spot on!! :rock:

I've been experimenting with W this week myself.

I did an identical round trip on Friday and Monday, at 280 miles each time.

The first in S and got 27.2 mpg on 97 RON Esso Super.
The second in W and got 29.7 mpg on 99 RON Shell V-Power.

Whether the improvement was chance, gearbox mode or fuel octane rating I've not decided. Should have switched only one variable!!

The journey to work yesterday and today is unchanged despite being in W and running on 99 RON.

:crazy: I used to be confused, now I'm not so sure!! :D

All other things (driving style etc.) being equal you should definitely get higher MPG on V-Power (due to the higher octane and friction reducer).

grober said:
I have to say I find that very hard to believe. Not, I hasten to add that he didnt say it to you, but the veracity of the statement itself. I could see starting in a higher gear would produce more fluid shear in the torque converter but after that there should be no difference unless it doesnt permit changing right up the box to higher gears? If there was a potential overheating problem by running in W mode it would surely mention it in the handbook. This is on the understanding that W (WINTER) C (COMFORT) and E (ECONOMY) are essentially the same?

I can only repeat what the chap said.

marcos said:
Hi Marcos, I must confess I am with Grober on this one. I find it very strange htat this person referred to the 'Winter' setting as on my 211 there is no such item?? You have either Comfort or Standard? I fully accept that on different models it does indeed have the W = Winter setting but you would hope when someone explains the controls to you, they at least refer to the correct abbreviation?

Like Grober, I must emphasis I do NOT disbelieve this person said this.

Regards,
John

Edit:
:eek: :eek: :eek: I'm assuming here that you have similar settings on your 211??? C\S :D

Last edited:
My SLK has W and S. Only ever use W when there is lots of snow and/or ice around.

Assuming that W & C really are the same, then it seems unlikely there would be a problem using them in normal use. There's scertainly no suggestion of any issue in the handbook.

I do find that even with the torque of my C270CDi, the already slow pickup just becomes ridiculous in C. You can boot it and it will downshift to 1st, but it does it with a bit of a jolt.
If I remember, I tend to use C on long A road runs, where it will shift into 5th at about 40MPH, instread of running along in 4th.

glojo said:
Hi Marcos, I must confess I am with Grober on this one. I find it very strange htat this person referred to the 'Winter' setting as on my 211 there is no such item?? You have either Comfort or Standard? I fully accept that on different models it does indeed have the W = Winter setting but you would hope when someone explains the controls to you, they at least refer to the correct abbreviation?

Like Grober, I must emphasis I do NOT disbelieve this person said this.

Regards,
John

Edit:
:eek: :eek: :eek: I'm assuming here that you have similar settings on your 211??? C\S :D

No I don't actually John:rolleyes:
DSC00282.jpg

DSC00281.jpg

marcos said:
No I don't actually John:rolleyes:

DSC00281.jpg
Thank goodness I had the foresight to ask the question before simply assuming. Even my 211 manual refers to the C\S mode??? Our vehicle is a 2004 build, what is yours? :) :)
C%26S.jpg

Regards,
John

It's a 52 plate so a bit older. Funnily enough there are loads of differences between mine and my dad's and his was only built 5 weeks after mine.

marcos said:
It's a 52 plate so a bit older. Funnily enough there are loads of differences between mine and my dad's and his was only built 5 weeks after mine.
:D :D I think that between the two of us we have answered the question about there being no difference whatsoever between W\S or C\S :)

For sporty type drivers I should imagine they will complain about Comfort mode, but each to there own, and for those that use it, I'm sure they are quite happy with its performance.

Regards,
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom