[W]inter / [S]port mode ? C32

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As the discussions were raging on I've defaulted to using S ! On the next tank I will use 'W' (commanly known as 'C') to see how much difference it makes over a complete tank.

Tank will need to be filled tomorrow evening as it's just under 1/2 now.

Cheers

I used to find W mode sluggish myself and always used S. But since having my transmission fluid changed I've found that is moves along in W just fine now!

When I get it chipped tomorrow I imagine the extra 80NM of torque will make it better still! :)

pammy said:
My SLK has W and S. Only ever use W when there is lots of snow and/or ice around.

That's what the book says. :)

GazCaff said:
I used to find W mode sluggish myself and always used S. But since having my transmission fluid changed I've found that is moves along in W just fine now!

When I get it chipped tomorrow I imagine the extra 80NM of torque will make it better still! :)

Always found C (or W if you like) OK if you adjust your expectations accordingly but do not use it in traffic.

On the MPG issue, found it does give better results but maybe that is because driving style is also adjusted!

Recall reading somewhere that on some transmissions whilst S is adaptive C (or W) is not and runs off fixed mappings. Do not know how that works out across the MB range.

On mine the w is for winter and s for summer
The w setting is used when ice or slow is about as it uses less revs to pull away

Didn't like my SL in W mode at all, noticeably sluggish pulling away in 2nd (and I think it disables kickdown?). Gearchanges are very smooth in S mode, appreciate that AMGs might be different though!

On a 2002 c-class I had W + S settings. I understood that W was for winter & S for standard.
When W selected there was no "first" gear, car pulled away in second, and othe change points were adjusted to reduce the chance of wheel spin on ice/snow.
When idlling in traffic, creeping forward in S, the top speed would be about 7mph, in W it would be 14mph indicating that a higher gear was being used.

Having seen the pictures posted by Satch and myself I am now convinced that the W\S, C\S markings are exactly the same thing. My opinion is that someone somewhere has simply decided to rename this option on certain vehicles, or perhaps year? I say this because we have seen visible evidence, the E-class 211 with the Winter option, then a year later, the same model, with exactly the same engine\gearbox configuration has the Comfort setting.

I am very interested in Bill's statement about not having kickdown on his specific vehicle when pulling away in the Winter or Comfort setting. The AMG is a different beast and I am simply interested to hear if Bill could kindly carry out a definite test just to confirm his statement. For those that do not have an AMG, then a firm flooring of the throttle should get the box to change down.

I am NOT for one minute suggesting that anyone is wrong to say that W should only be used in slippery conditions, the manual is the manual.

Regards,
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom