W/S 211 brake lines!!!!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WG M-B

Auhorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
C63 Wagon in black
Just wanted to share something with the forum that happened in our workshop today.
Whilst carrying out the brake bleeding procedure on a W211 saloon ( after SBC pump replacement ), a brake line blew out !!!!!
Rusty brake lines are well known/ documented issue on 211's but this was a first for me!
We dropped the plastic under trays that run the length of the undercarriage and what we found was frightening. The lines at the union with the rear flexy hose didn't actually look too bad.
I'm sooooooo thankful this happened in my wshop.
Please guys check your rear brake lines if you can !!!!!!!!!!!!

Are these pipes on view at service/MOT time or does the undertray have to be dropped ?

No they are not recognised by a tester. It's a well known issue that they rust from behind the wheel arch. But this bugger blew right underneath the rear section of the undercarriage trays that run the length of the undercarriage either side

Nasty. I'll get Colin at MBS to take a look next service. Thanks for the heads up!

Deffo fella!!!!!

Hi bud, do you remember if the lines on mine where ok?

Was it rusty further fwd or did it just burst?

11_zpse4198e68.jpg

Do the lines on the W219 CLS similarly corrode?

Was it rusty further fwd or did it just burst?

11_zpse4198e68.jpg

The car it happened to me on looked nowhere near as bad as that at the union of the rear hose.
It was under the plastic tray that runs the length of the car in x2 pieces.
Toward the rear

Hi bud, do you remember if the lines on mine where ok?

The particular place where this line blew out wouldn't have been checked, as its hidden under the trays.

The ministry of transport need informing,as this is seriously dangerous. I know that with
engine under covers they state not inspected,but when brake lines can't be inspected they
should be either removed prior to test or a charge applied to remove them.

This happened to mine about 3 weeks ago while driving. Fortunately I managed to stay safe and get them both replaced quite cheaply.

im having all my pipes renewed next week , how it passed its mot is beyond me as the 2 rears at the part they rot are a disgrace tbh .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom