W/S knob beside the gearbox of W220

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sub_zero

Car
W124 E220 1995
Hi Gurus,
I have a knob beside the gear lever with selection of 'W' and 'S' notches,what do they mean? is it something related to fuel economy?
thanks in advance

sub_zero said:
Hi Gurus,
I have a knob beside the gear lever with selection of 'W' and 'S' notches,what do they mean? is it something related to fuel economy?
thanks in advance

Its Winter (or comfort on later models) or Standard/Sport/Summer. In the winter mode the gearbox ommits first gear and changes up earlier for a given throttle position, all to prevent wheel spin etc. Also reverse gear in W is lower to enhance the same effect.

In summer/sport/standard all gears are available and the up-change is later for that same given throttle position. Just play around with it, you'll see what I mean.

Portzy.

Reactions: PJH
sub_zero, do you actually HAVE winters in Kuwait ?

No actual winter though...

Hi PJH,
Well,this is a very good question,temperature in summer reaches 80 C (in august most ppl leave Kuwait),in winter (which is approximately 2 weeks),it is around 10 C,so it is relatively considered very cold here,we have alot of rain,we have no snow.
Concerning my thread,I just hate to have a car without knowing what features I have.
One more time,thank you very much for your co-operation.

Reactions: PJH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom