W,S,R...20*,12*,...etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just simpler to say w204 with a 646 than:

C class that was produced between late 2007 and early 2015 and the one with the engine fitted between 2007 and early 2009.

When looking for upgrades or parts for the engine it's really important to know it's a 646 as the two engines are completely different.

So, 08 c class?

much-ado-about-nothing-1-638.jpg

Thread revival!

I'm confused by all the numbers, but I do see why and can see the benefit of it. It just makes me ignore all the threads that have the codes in the title, as I have no idea what car it's talking about and don't want to go Googling for every thread to see if it's worth looking at.
I have the same problem with BMW, I know mine is an E93, and I know how it relates to E90,91,92, I also know what the E60 and E61 are because we had an E61 - but I don't know any of the others.

I don't even know what our Merc is. Wiki says W218, but I don't think that's right, other places say X218 - which also doesn't sound like a thing. Then there's the 219 - which logically would be a later version, but isn't? So is the new CLS an X217?

nope, there MB goes backwards because W220 was used for s-class... 1st gen CLS was W219 but 2nd gen is W218...

Usually ppl are using Wxxx as a general description, even wagon are Sxxx, coupe models are Cxx, wagon coupes has Xxxx etc...

edit: and newest CLS model is C257...

Well on non USA cars (as they have a different VIN system), the the first 3 numbers are the type and the second 3 are the engine code so you can quickly id your car. So my SLK is WDB (Daimler Benz) 171 (for mk2 SLK) R(oadster)171 then 445 (to indicate 186ps 4cyl engine and not the original 442 165ps engine) then 2F (2 is RHD, 1 is LHD), F = Bremen and then the serial number, in my case 196xxx, so the 196xxxth car (r171 type) off the production line.

This is the same for ALL MB cars, although WDB will say WDC if its built in America and F will become A to C (IIRC) if its built in Stuttgart, hence why people refer to the the BR (Baureihe or building row [literal translation from the German) number for the car which is the 3 figure code. Not always follows though that the same number applies to all body shapes. For example, current e class is W/S213 for saloon/estate, but this changes to C/A238 for Coupe/Cabriolet. Opel do the same, so currently we are on the Astra K, but Brits will often refer as Mk7. As someone said with the Focus I had a facelifted mk2 (c 2008) which is often referred to in Britain as a MK3, but in Ford official speak it was still a Mk2, just it had a facelift. The Br number for MB is just the same and only changes when he car is replaced and not just cosmetically facelifted - hence why the current C Class remains Br W205 but the engine code might change to signify new power trains. When the next brand new C class arrives say in 4 years time then 205 will become something else.

This page might help.....

Category:Mercedes-Benz model codes - Wikipedia
:thumb::thumb:

Thread revival!

I'm confused by all the numbers, but I do see why and can see the benefit of it. It just makes me ignore all the threads that have the codes in the title, as I have no idea what car it's talking about and don't want to go Googling for every thread to see if it's worth looking at.
I have the same problem with BMW, I know mine is an E93, and I know how it relates to E90,91,92, I also know what the E60 and E61 are because we had an E61 - but I don't know any of the others.

I don't even know what our Merc is. Wiki says W218, but I don't think that's right, other places say X218 - which also doesn't sound like a thing. Then there's the 219 - which logically would be a later version, but isn't? So is the new CLS an X217?
Your car is a 218...forget about the letter. The 219 came first but 220 couldn't be used because that's an S Class. It could be a 217 the next one...but who knows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom