W/S210's - The Verdict

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chorcheela

Car
1999 E200T
I've been on this forum now for about a month and have been impressed with the contents. What I want to ask, though is this:

Received wisdom is that the W124 E Class was 'the best Merc ever built', 'hewn from Granite', 'bullet proof' etc etc etc. However, mention the W or S210 and suddenly people start to moan and groan and murmur about 'they don't make em like they used to'.

I know that the car was introduced as Merc moved from being engineering-led to cost-led, but what is the general opinion people have about this model?

Mine is superb, rust aside :mad: what does everyone else think?

Cheers.

I agree, Superb (except the rust)!

The insides havent dated at all, my Father has a 97 E230 (Cloth) and the styling looks up-to-date still

Spanner in the forum works here.

The W210 diesels are the most reliable Mercedes built, so says my local dealer. When folks say they dropped the standards they don't know what they are talking about.

All the mechanical componets under the car are straight from 201, 124 and 140 series cars and still carry the same part numbers, so how can they be inferior? Most other parts have been improved and uprated for longer life.

The steering is better and more robust for being rack and pinnion and the interiors last as well as any other Mercedes.

W210 cars have one achilles heel, corrosion, so as long as it isn't rusty it should be a good car.

Ohh, I feel the flames..

I'm very happy indeed with my 210. Dieselman's post says it all really.

The older generation cars are indeed really special, and if I were to be in a position to have a second car then I'd by pushed to find a reason not to have one from the early nineties.

MB has diversified a lot recently, some would say too far, but the core products of high-quality saloons remain as a product that is not matched by many other manufacturers.

Me? I'll take a 5 year old 210 over a brand new HyKiaProtForHon...blahblah any day of the week. If, perish the thought, it should fail me, then I'll still be admiring it when the recovery truck arrives...

I think Dieselman missed the point, the "newer" Mercs are mechanically superior or equal to the "older" Mercs, however there is no point in the mechanics being great if the bit that hold the mechanice together slowly dissappears in a brown dusty type substance:D :D That, IMO, is the only issue with the W210/211 models

Thanks everybody so far. I'm greatly heartened by the views expressed. Regarding the interior, what I like is that a few details apart it is clearly just a very subtle update of the 124 - just check out the dash and centre console. I agree it has dated nicely; I can't stand the look of the new, ultra modern merc interiors, but that's just my taste - I love the simple, cheap-looking imitation wood and the classic auto shifter.

I guess that for the last decade almost every German, Austrian and even Dutch airport taxi has been a 210 should go some way to backing up these views.

Engine-wise, I also understand that all the engines are known to be virtually bullet proof if well looked after.

I'm hoping I can keep my 200 running for a long time (at 30k motorway miles per year, currently up to 130,000). I think that the only problem might be that it eventually rusts away in front of my eyes!!!:rolleyes:

Rust and flimsy interiors.

No thanks :p

chorcheela said:
Thanks everybody so far....... I love the simple, cheap-looking imitation wood ...............

Don't scratch it, or you will see how cheap the not imitation wood is. :D :D

Flimsy interiors? You're kidding, aren't you?

My 210 was superb, corrosion aside. Apart from a MAS sensor, and a new condensor rad, nothing else failed apart from routine maintenance items.

The interior was very very good, and driving it the other day (my father in law now owns it), I can assure you the state of the interior did not give away the fact that this car is now closing in on 170,000 miles!

Similar to everone else really
My w210 (Jan 1997) bought in June 2000 at 39k, now at 153 k
The only non service items that I can recall having replaced is a battery about four years ago. and the cat, earlier this year (cost about £270 fitted iirc)
The car runs a treat, there is no sign of interior wear, but there are serious signs of rust on the bodywork, even though most of the car was resprayed/treated for this a couple of years ago.

Geoff2 said:
I think Dieselman missed the point, the "newer" Mercs are mechanically superior or equal to the "older" Mercs, however there is no point in the mechanics being great if the bit that hold the mechanice together slowly dissappears in a brown dusty type substance:D :D That, IMO, is the only issue with the W210/211 models

Of course this depends on your car having corrosion, so speak for yourself here.
I think Ian and Sydney were suitably impressed with the lack of rust on a certain W210 at Clumber.;)

My wife had a Renault drive into the side of our 210. Both nearside doors were quite badly damaged, but the doors still opened and shut. No one inside the car was injured, although obviously shook up. The Renault front end was completely stove in, including both wings. There was also a fair degree of engine\transmission damage. Renault was beyond economic repair, our car was driven to the local dealership and simply had two new doors. Brilliant car, safety features MUST also be a very important consideration.

I endorse everything Dieselman has said, great car, shame about the rust.

If your thinking about buying one I cannot emphasis enough the importance of a full history on mobilo covered vehicles.

John

janner said:
flimsy interiors.

How do you work that out? that are virtually bomb proof, unlike a CLK

chorcheela said:
what I like is that a few details apart it is clearly just a very subtle update of the 124

That is true of pretty much every model , there is always an intentional 'overlap' with the preceeding one .

chorcheela said:
- I love the simple, cheap-looking imitation wood and the classic auto shifter.

:

That's because your car is a Classic spec car. Upgrade to an Avantgarde and all thoughts of cheap looking dissapear. Even my neighbour who hates the interior of MB thinks the Av. is very nice.

Dieselman said:
Of course this depends on your car having corrosion, so speak for yourself here.
I think Ian and Sydney were suitably impressed with the lack of rust on a certain W210 at Clumber.;)

And many others judging by the rust threads on this forum, and yes, there is always one:D

I ran a E220CDI Advantgarde for 60,000 miles from 2001 when the car already had 20k on the clock and it was superbly comfortable and was also highly reliable....not a single warranty claim in 60,000 miles. It was also cheap to run and I got great service from my supplying dealer...Tony Purslows of Basingstoke.

If you can find a well cared for W210 without any rust/or one that has been rectified, they make excellent cars

I've had a 210 series E320 cdi Avant garde for nearly two years now, and it's possibly the best car I've owned. 140k on the clock, and it still drives superbly. No creaks or rattles from the interior (unlike my previous c-class), and really no signs of wear at all.

But, it is starting to rust again. It various bits were treated and resprayed before I bought it, but it's coming throught again, and also in a new spot on the doors panels in from of the B-pillars, which is not a rust spot I've heard of on other cars. So I agree with the concensus that rust aside, they are superb cars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom