w/s213 air suspension questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grumpytosser

Car
2017 s213 AMG Line Premium Plus +++
HI ever since i bought the car ive been sure that the rise is quite harsh. The car went into doncaster MB and they did find an issue with a control unit i think and "sorted it" (this was after them telling me that it would be much firmer than an s class the only air suspension merc ive driven unfortunatly) and i thought maybe it was better BUT it really isnt imho. Ok its running 20" wheels and runflats so its not going to be the best ride ever but honestly im sure it rides better or atleast no worse in sports plus. Surely this cant be right it must be softer than that no ?

on the vehicle display in command i can see the suspension and it has a number of yellow segments in the airbags so to speak any idea what they actually mean i can see them changing in sport + but hardly ever in comfort. the car does raise and lower when i press the button so its not totally broken. Id say the ride is as harsh as my old f56 mini jcw on std springs except that rattled less than this thing.

cheers

I remember my W211 with AirMATIC and the difference between Sport II, Sport I and Comfort was not massive either. I think I found the ride best in Sport II as it was least-wallowy so it could be the same for you.

I would presume an E Class is setup for a slightly more sporty ride than an S so I would think they are correct there). I've nothing to back that up though as I've never driven a 213.

You could take it to a decent inde for a second opinion but it may well be that is how it is. As you state, 20s and runflats will not be helping.

All you can really do to improve the ride is start swapping things out at some stage.

I would start with the runflats to non-runflats when they need replacing and see what that is like. Or swap them out sooner if they have decent tread and sell the runflats on FleeceBay. I've actually got good money in the past from selling used tyres.

Then if that doesn't improve the situation enough you could go down to 19 or even 18 subject to them fitting your brake calipers.

every vehicle i have had with air has been hard, especially at low speeds, great at self levelling and at high speeds, other than that I don't find it like riding on air (my Ford transit connect rides better than the R Class)

every vehicle i have had with air has been hard, especially at low speeds, great at self levelling and at high speeds, other than that I don't find it like riding on air (my Ford transit connect rides better than the R Class)
Yeah I'm not sure it would seem as bad if it wasn't for the rattles! On smooth roads it's really quiet but broken surfaces it's rattles and tyre noise. I've had rear tailgate covers off this weekend and passenger front door, the center console bit with all the switches and the dash screens but still rattles can't find what's causing them all yet but it's getting quieter I'm just go eating everything in fabric tape!

Well I suppose if you run your E on 20inch run flats you would expect a harsh ride even on air,change the wheels and tyres and the ride will be much better imho.

My 212 on 17's was sublime. Still OK on 18's if a little harsher.

I suspect, in your case, it's a case of 20 inch runflats.

My 212 on 17's was sublime. Still OK on 18's if a little harsher.

I suspect, in your case, it's a case of 20 inch runflats.
I tried to convince the Mrs to let me put non runflats on it she refused saying I was trying to kill her or something :)

Only had one car with air that was a lexus ls430 so not a fair comparison as it ran on 17" with balloons for tires

I tried to convince the Mrs to let me put non runflats on it she refused saying I was trying to kill her or something :)

Only had one car with air that was a lexus ls430 so not a fair comparison as it ran on 17" with balloons for tires

They're hard to like if you're bothered about ride quality. I tried a Mini Cooper S on them a few years ago. Shortest test drive ever. In the first 50 yds I experienced a speedbump and some broken tarmac. Not for me.

They're hard to like if you're bothered about ride quality. I tried a Mini Cooper S on them a few years ago. Shortest test drive ever. In the first 50 yds I experienced a speedbump and some broken tarmac. Not for me.
That's the thing my f56 JCW mini with 18" runflats felt the same as this granted it's like a year since I last drove that

Just thought if I sit Infront of the house I can see if it raises and lowers by looking at the mortar lines and bricks and well there is certainly something up!

Start car it sits there if I move to economy or sport the suspension doesn't move yet the display shows the car moving from 0 to -1 if I press the raise button it does move a bit but if I move it to comfort it doesn't move but if I put it to economy or sport it does

Can anyone advise on what the ride heights should be and where they are measured

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom