W108 need to obtain proof of origin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yarrowfairy

just wondered if anyone knew a website where i can obtain information on the manufacture of the w108 vin number 11102612002095
i have seen one website that states all the vin numbers starting 111026 were produced in AV Stuttgart 1971 but i need something more official for uk customs to prove that it is returning eec goods. the car is coming from the usa. apparently customs used to accept the info wikipidia but not anymore!

just wondered if anyone knew a website where i can obtain information on the manufacture of the w108 vin number 11102612002095
i have seen one website that states all the vin numbers starting 111026 were produced in AV Stuttgart 1971 but i need something more official for uk customs to prove that it is returning eec goods. the car is coming from the usa. apparently customs used to accept the info wikipidia but not anymore!

Really not a true VIN as VIN are seventeen digits.
More a pre VIN chassis / serial number.

Contact the Mercedes Classic Center in Germany or Irvine CA USA.
You can request your chassis / build card and they will email or fax to you.

Mercedes-Benz Classic - Home - Classic Center

Really not a true VIN as VIN are seventeen digits.
More a pre VIN chassis / serial number.

Contact the Mercedes Classic Center in Germany or Irvine CA USA.
You can request your chassis / build card and they will email or fax to you.

Mercedes-Benz Classic - Home - Classic Center

thank you very much for your quick response. i just wanted to let you know that the website i was on said the following:

"ALL 1971 Mercedes Benz 280SE 3.5 convertibles were manufactured by Daimler-Benz AG in Stuttgart, Germany. The Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN) of these convertibles contain 14 digits. All start with the numbers "111027".

AlsoALL 1971 Mercedes Benz 280SE 3.5 convertibles were manufactured by Daimler-Benz AG in Stuttgart, Germany. The Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN) of these convertibles contain 14 digits. All start with the numbers "111027".

i have emailed mercedes as per your advice and hope they get back to me.

thanks again. eileen

The Russian site does not go back that far .

BTW , if the chassis no starts 111... then it isn't really a W108 - although the 108 chassis is a modified 111 chassis , the 280SE coupes are really the same as the W111 220SE coupes which were out before the W108 series was introduced - they got the later engines but are still really W111 coupes .

Because it offers a free VIN decoding service ....

Doesn't matter though , because it won't have your car on it ... :(

I assume you know you are buying a Coupe 111026 and not a Cabriolet 111027.
quite a few Coupes were "chopped" to Cabriolets especially in the STATES!

DOES THIS HELP. Identification numbers
ACCORDING TO THIS SITE the seventh number should be 1 if its LHD built in Germany and 5 if its built elsewhere 11102612002095

From the 1960s onwards the build up of the identification code is as follows:
The numbers have 14 digits on all models.
* The first three digits: type (as W number).
* Next three digits: body type.
* A. Seventh digit: 1 for Left hand Driven cars built in Germany, if built outside Germany this number would be a 5.
* B. Seventh digit: 2 for Right Hand Driven cars built in Germany, if built outside Germany this number would be a 6.
* Eight digit: 0 for standard transmission, 2 for automatic transmission.
* Last six digits: serial number.

Last edited:
dear Grober,
thank you for that good info. the car is a coupe and left hand drive and the fifth number is a 1 so at least we know that the car was made in Germany. mercedes benz in germany got back to me regarding a data card and also if i wanted a certificate for 100 euros which will take eight weeks. just interested to know where you got the information from regarding the number "1" being built in Germany just so i can give something solid to customs here. the car arrives tomorrow and they will ask for proof that the car is returning EEC goods ie. originally made in Germany. they might accept something from the interenet in case MB do not get back to me in time. thanks again
eileen

dear Grober,

just saw your link with identification numbers (should have looked before) this is perfect for customs thank you!!:D

thanks again.
on another note do you think Adrian Flux is a good place to insure the car? my insurance wont do left hand drive (only third party)
AF gave me a quote of £165 which i thought was reasonable?

thanks again.
on another note do you think Adrian Flux is a good place to insure the car? my insurance wont do left hand drive (only third party)
AF gave me a quote of £165 which i thought was reasonable?

sounds good to me. depending on the condition of it, you may wish to arrange an agreed-value policy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom