W108 Project - near West London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

911F

Car
XKR 5.0, 280SEL 3.5, 380SL, Audi A8,
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to say hello, and tell you about a project we are taking on.

We have recently bought a W108 280SEL 3.5 LWB in black.

The plan is to put as later model running gear in (a V8)

Im trying to suss out what the best conversion would be.

Some people say the M119 is pretty straight forward. But is that the case?

Would an E430 or E55 unit go in from the W210.

Are there any suggestions from the forum? Would love some ideas..

Here are some pics of when we got it:

960248_476820689103126_14397861_n.jpg

What are you planning to do with the electronics?

Aftermarket stand alone engine management?

If you go with the M113 from an E55 you will also need a TCU.

What are you trying to achieve exactly?

Hi there,

Thanks for the replies.

Ideally we would like to transfer the entire loom and running gear from a donor car.

The objective is to have a car that looks beautiful (classic) but with modern running gear.

We have considered back to OEM, but we are adventurers and would love to open the bonnet and see/hear a modern engine

If not the W210 - any other suggestions?

Since the integration of esp into the E55 there are a ridiculous amount of sensors you would need to account for.

It would be so much more than an engine and box transfer.

The modern running great goal, is it for performance reasons or just to push yourself to do something out of the ordinary / difficult?

Its to have the day to day reliability of a new Mercedes, with the packaging of an old Mercedes.

Think the Bent 190SL or Mechatronik

Save yourself the trouble if reliability is the goal. The original running gear is extremely tough and reliable.

Sounds a great project, I really like modern running gear in old motors generally speaking and better again you are keeping the cylinder count the same. I'd be considering M117 5.6 or an M119 5.0 both with standalone for fuel & ignition and a 722 4 speed box or if possible 722 5 speed, electronics permitting.

Now, if you have the time, skills, money etc and are willing to fit complete looms as you mentioned, surely a cheap W210 E55 as a donor would be ideal.

Whatever route you go, keep us posted.

For a bit of inspiration: 1967 Mercedes-Benz 250 SE With C 36 AMG Engine at Essen Motor Show 2013 - Mercedes Silver Arrows

P.s. Original W108's are rising in value and even more so for 3.5's it would seem.

Last edited:
I was at Essen and looked around that car! I never realised it had a modern engine in it!

Interesting choice of engine.

This car is for keeps - we have no plans to sell it, we have other cars that are 'investments' although I don't like to think that way.

Its about having something unique (being an LWB and RHD is pretty rare as it is)

What do we think about the C43 as a donor car?

What do we think about the C43 as a donor car?

I'm not the man to ask (but I'm very good at encouraging people to spend loads of their own money!). No, if you are going down that road may as well opt for a W210 E55 imo. But I do think the key is to keep it simple, thus a M117 5.6/ 4sp auto, standlone and if possible the diff too with an uprated brake system. A lazy 300bhp, bulletproof box and a modern tuneable injection system with better economy, what's not to like?

Of course whatever way you go you'll really have to decide what you want first. For example if you are up for retro fitting electronics/looms you could consider fitting the the brake assy from either a C43 or E55, traction control, ABS and maybe even complete front & rear suspension along with sub frames & steering gear! Personally, I really think it's all about budget, time, experience and money. Not to mention the current condition of the W108.

Regardless, it's a great project whatever avenue you travel.

Edit: Have you taken any measurements from the engine bay, g/box tunnel and made comparisons against donor engines? I'd imagine it's all easy for bulkheads, front suspension, cross members, exhaust manifolds and steering gear to cause problems.

Last edited:
Mulling over this again. What about EFI'ing the current motor and fitting a S/charger? All reverseable too.

I'll shut up now! :D

Right guys,

We have sourced the Donor car.

A one driver from new, 1987 560SEL in mechanically excellent condition, 70k miles with comprehensive history and a huge options list.

Ok, so - who can help with a list of what we need, and what can come over?

Plan so far, engine and box, electrics, heating/AC system...

Heres a pic when we got it

15638_492791517506043_649480481_n.jpg

all.js

Never noticed this earlier..

I read the first post and I thought M117 560 is the only engine for that car...

Look forward to updates.

Before you rip the 560 out tag and make copious notes of all the vacuum pipe locations and colours and where they go to. Lots of detail pics as well for reference later. Vacuum routing is always the stumbling block for re-engining Mercs. Or so it would seem from the questions that pop up on here. :wallbash:

:D. and lots of pics on here as you go along please. :thumb:

Really he wants to rip out everything as one big lump unit with it all still connected together then there cannot be any issues..

Engine, Gearbox, Ignition unit, wiring loom etc.

There is a thread on here somewhere , where the editor of Classic and Sportscar ( I think ) dropped a 560 into a w123.

Can't be much different surely ?

You'll have to search for the thread as I can't find it.

W123 V8 conversion is fairly easy, the guys doing it are fairly adept at it and have the conversion bits made up ready.

Matts car was one of the first ones to be done.

If using the Auto there is very little to worry about, its just time intensive and of course lots of bits need to be swapped over.

If you want a manual, its a bit more work with special adaptor plates needed etc..

Look out for a yellow W123 560 Manual... coming soon...

Right guys,

We have sourced the Donor car.

A one driver from new, 1987 560SEL in mechanically excellent condition, 70k miles with comprehensive history and a huge options list.

It almost sounds like it's too go to break! It would be an awful pity if it is. How much of a transplant are you aiming for? Is the SLS, ASD & ABS sytsems on the agenda too?

Hoping all goes well with the project :thumb: Hope also you update this thread.

Look out for a yellow W123 560 Manual... coming soon...

Would that explain a certain half covered W126 bereft of a few parts in your yard the other week?

Does that mean the 200 lives on with added va va voom :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom