W114 280E - Immaculate, original cae

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Screwdriver

Never seen one with the original factory front floor mats before! What a beauty!

" Please ensure you are satisfied with the vehicle description and all information provided before placing a bid. All bids are legally binding once placed. Any winning bidder who withdraws from a sale, is subject to our bidders fee charge."

No service history - just "a few bills from its life in South Africa". Am I the only one who finds that somewhat unusual?

"This car has been owned by the same Cape Town family from new". If it's a Cape car:

1) Why is it on a Gauteng plate?
2) Unless 1) is explained by them keeping it up on the highveld as their city car, it has therefore spent its entire life by the sea, putting that dry climate claim in doubt.

Also, we'll make repeated references throughout the advert to the provenance and history of the car, proof of which either doesn't exist or you won't get to see until after you've bid. You'll just have to take our word for it, ok?

Last edited:
"This car has been owned by the same Cape Town family from new". If it's a Cape car:

1) Why is it on a Gauteng plate?
2) Unless 1) is explained by them keeping it up on the highveld as their city car, it has therefore spent its entire life by the sea, putting that dry climate claim in doubt.

Also, we'll make repeated references throughout the advert to the provenance and history of the car, proof of which either doesn't exist or you won't get to see until after you've bid. You'll just have to take our word for it, ok?

Lots of SA cars for sale in the rising UK classic market.

Same as Japan .... "unsalted roads ... dry climate" ... er..... not really.

That's a 280, not a 280E.

As you say, it absolutely depends on where it's lived. A life spent up in Gauteng is fine, but 5 years at the Cape turned the underside of my cousin's Fiesta to swiss cheese.

I actually own a Japanese import Mini Cooper - when I say the car is entirely rust free, I mean not a spec anywhere. Either Japan does have a favorable climate or Rover Japan invested in rust free metals without the knowledge of their parent company.

Attachments

• 379E2EBF-DB89-4E86-834A-E0DC64CF5ED3.jpeg
    379E2EBF-DB89-4E86-834A-E0DC64CF5ED3.jpeg
    534.6 KB · Views: 5
That's a 280, not a 280E.
Good point, unless for some reason they omitted the E on the boot in the South African market? Anyone able to tell from looking at the engine pics?
Also, I'm fairly sure it will be a four-speed box (albeit one that starts in second unless floored), not three as alluded to in the blurb.

Anyone able to tell from looking at the engine pics?
Yep, theres a carb under the air cleaner. 280E had the intake leading to behind an air box behind the passenger headlight

Weird that they'd lie about the model number unless they had no clue. Makes me wonder what else is incorrectly listed? Still, looks rust free!

I actually own a Japanese import Mini Cooper - when I say the car is entirely rust free, I mean not a spec anywhere. Either Japan does have a favorable climate or Rover Japan invested in rust free metals without the knowledge of their parent company.
I imagine that it depends entirely on where in Japan it lived, there are very differing climates around the country....... I bet some cars from coastal areas with high wind suffer from salt(water) rust.

I’d have been more worried about them being radioactive if they had been imported from anywhere near the reactor that went into meltdown after the Tsunami☠️

I had a JDM import, they have less ‘factory’ anti rust than models destined for import to Europe, so the received wisdom is to get them thoroughly treated on arrival into the UK, to keep them rust free as long as possible. 👍

Last edited:
Weird that they'd lie about the model number unless they had no clue. Makes me wonder what else is incorrectly listed? Still, looks rust free!
Yep, the intake system on a fuel injected engine (M110E and M114E) is completely different with the air cleaner way out front behind the headlight. I suspect that the guy posting the ad didn't have a clue. More ignorant than deceitful. You'd be amazed at how many 450SEL's that I see for sale with the '6.9' engine that have oil caps on the right side valve cover or how many W140's with bullet proof glass.

1609311671992.png

Alabbaai is correct, pic above is d-jet, car in ad has a carb

Last edited:
I have advised the auction company and they have amended the title, although in the specification 'panel' it still says 280E, and it still refers to injection in the text.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom