W114 280E - Rare Stroke 8 for sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For a petrolhead, absolutely. Perfect spec too!

Personally, I wouldn't trade my 240D 4 speed manual for the world.

That’s a lovely car, I didn’t know you could get them with that engine, is it 185 ish bhp?

That is a nice example,as you say it will not stay around for long.

That’s a lovely car, I didn’t know you could get them with that engine, is it 185 ish bhp?
In the UK, yes. D Jetronic motors work great if upkeep has been good. Bear in mind, this is as analogue as it gets, so it’s way more enjoyable than a W210 with 6 cylinders as an example

Personally, I wouldn't trade my 240D 4 speed manual for the world.
You only say that because you know nobody would offer you the world for it, though... :D

What would you value the world at, though?

Genuine question why the love for the diesels?

They are like old meccano sets. There’s a beauty in how simple and ‘mechanical’ they are. I absolutely love the sound of them ticking over. You either get it or you don’t I guess.

Love that 280 😍

Indirect injection mechanical diesel engines are amazing things. Run on anything, start them up take the battery away, a perpetual motion machine. Old Swiss watch V digital junk.

You may also be very surprised how quiet and refined they are in comparison with direct injection common rail engines. The engine in my 190d for example was nicknamed the whispering diesel by the motoring press at the time as it is so quiet.

Downsides not a lot of power but not bad on torque.

Lovely old things.

I guess my perception of diesels has been impacted by all the clattery and smokey ones around in recent times.

I get my mechanical fix from my bike which has carbs but electronic ignition so no pesky points to mess around with but still has an analogue aspect , carb balancing, valve shims etc

Indirect injection mechanical diesel engines are amazing things. Run on anything, start them up take the battery away, a perpetual motion machine. Old Swiss watch V digital junk.

You may also be very surprised how quiet and refined they are in comparison with direct injection common rail engines. The engine in my 190d for example was nicknamed the whispering diesel by the motoring press at the time as it is so quiet.

Downsides not a lot of power but not bad on torque.

Lovely old things.

I'm going to continue to enjoy my fast fuel injected gassers until the zombie apocalypse comes. Then I'll use my 1911 to find an old diesel and rattle away into the sunset. Whatever I steal, it must have a turbo. An N/A diesel won't outrun a zombie. Maybe a mummy.... but not a zombie.

On the subject. I picked up a period competitor to the 280E yesterday. A new toy to play with

Attachments

• 121480457_10164361509495165_5044143711298389836_o[1].jpg
    121480457_10164361509495165_5044143711298389836_o[1].jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 10
I'm going to continue to enjoy my fast fuel injected gassers until the zombie apocalypse comes. Then I'll use my 1911 to find an old diesel and rattle away into the sunset. Whatever I steal, it must have a turbo. An N/A diesel won't outrun a zombie. Maybe a mummy.... but not a zombie.

On the subject. I picked up a period competitor to the 280E yesterday. A new toy to play with
That looks nice. Is it a 164?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom