W114/5 Forums?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Haris

Can't seem to find any decent ones, or any that are based in the uk? :(

Looking for some general advice on what to look out for when buying and some technical tips.

Anyone know of any websites?

any info would be much appreciated!

The 'official club' ( The Mercedes-Benz Club ) does have a model specific forum covering these cars , and many others with little discussion elsewhere . It costs £30/year for membership but there are many other benefits - many others on here are members there also .

For info , here is a copy paste of topics on the front page

W115 - Bulk head rust ! Julesx 5 69 Yesterday at 07:37
By Julesx
Fuel pipes Mattelvis 3 43 26 Oct 2011 at 07:47
By ianh
Points gap? Mattelvis 1 13 17 Oct 2011 at 21:47
By Dombert03
W114 280CE Cold Idle (doesn't!) Dombert03 0 10 17 Oct 2011 at 19:56
By Dombert03
Parts buying-hard isnt it? Mattelvis 3 47 06 Oct 2011 at 23:08
By Nigel115
Headlamp refelctor re-silvering dan_uk 0 15 06 Oct 2011 at 22:48
By dan_uk
Windscreen Mayomerc 1 29 02 Oct 2011 at 21:51
By mr merc
Points and condensor? Mattelvis 6 63 24 Sep 2011 at 10:25
By Mattelvis
Another new boy! joe367 3 52 23 Aug 2011 at 22:35
By willc-class
Car chugging occasionally ianh 2 27 14 Aug 2011 at 22:20
By ianh
W114 1974 Manual - Need Advice ianh 20 148 13 Aug 2011 at 20:29
By ianh
March Gazette re 114/115 250CE 26 477 02 Aug 2011 at 17:07
By DubMerc
W115 220 spark plugs? Julesx 8 57 02 Aug 2011 at 09:45
By Julesx
W114- Petrol additive ianh 6 72 29 Jul 2011 at 20:55
By ianh
W114 Screen pillars rain deflectors Quentin 3 39 27 Jul 2011 at 09:21
By Quentin
W115 220D Alternative engines? Airpikey 0 27 11 May 2011 at 12:00
By Airpikey
Replacement fuel tank for a W114 250CE? chasesdragons 2 34 10 May 2011 at 07:54
By chasesdragons
W114 G McDonnell 3 93 01 Apr 2011 at 21:25
By SBV

Hahhhaa yeah, already gathered that from a search on google.

Apparently the floor plan is what I really need to look at aswell as the bottom of the rear quarters

Both SLS and DB Depot in Hamburg do a good range of repair panels , including sills , floor panels etc .

Thanks guys! some helpful links.

going to go have a look at one today :)

Well had a look at one

71k miles and the panels and in inner arches seemed all nice and solid. Paint was in good condition.

Only bit of rust that I found was a hole at the top of the passenger footwell and drivers side footwell which has been patched up, but would need doing properly.

Only concern I have about the car is the auto gearbox, it seemed a bit "lazy or hanging" a bit when shifting up when trying to drive at a slowish speed around 20 mph. But on kickdown it was fine.

But the owner just said stick your foot down and it shifts up. Which it did.

The engine was nice and tight and pulled really well, the cam and cam followers have been replaced and the carbs recalibrated. Also has a custom stainless exhaust, Was really nice and smooth otherwise.

He wants 2k for it and says he'll put 12months mot on it.

As mentioned only concern is the gearbox is that something I should be worried about? Are they fairly easy to get hold of?

Appreciate the help.

I am also interessted to find out more on these models.

Am quite gobb smaked that this model is not recognised more than it is.
It seems the low rider/ modifier comunity are really keen, but not alot of mercedes pureists are that bothered, it seems (on the internet that is???).

There is a site specific to the model but does not seem to be a great deal on it.

Here u go...hope this helps!

Mercedes Benz W114 & W115 stroke 8 International Forum :: Index

I have always liked the New Generation models , really I like all Mercedes of a certain age .

I learned to drive and passed my test in a 220/8 which my father had from new ; not long after I was given the car when he replaced it with a W123 . I ran that car for a few years until it was written off in a bad crash when a car came round a bend on my side of the road , overtaking a lorry and leaving me nowhere to go . That I not only survived , but stepped out uninjured save for a small piece of glass that got into my eye while the other driver broke three limbs plus several ribs and ended up in hospital ( Mercedes-Benz 1 - Ford Capri 0 ) persuaded me to stick with Mercedes for the 30+ years since .

I replaced it with a W114 280E 5 speed manual which was a fantastic car and I put well over 200,000 miles onto it over the ten or eleven years I kept it .

I am also interessted to find out more on these models.

Am quite gobb smaked that this model is not recognised more than it is.
It seems the low rider/ modifier comunity are really keen, but not alot of mercedes pureists are that bothered, it seems (on the internet that is???).

There is a site specific to the model but does not seem to be a great deal on it.

Here u go...hope this helps!

Mercedes Benz W114 & W115 stroke 8 International Forum :: Index

Yeah I came across that when searching but seemed pretty dead and useless. So didn't look around much.

I have always liked the New Generation models , really I like all Mercedes of a certain age .

I learned to drive and passed my test in a 220/8 which my father had from new ; not long after I was given the car when he replaced it with a W123 . I ran that car for a few years until it was written off in a bad crash when a car came round a bend on my side of the road , overtaking a lorry and leaving me nowhere to go . That I not only survived , but stepped out uninjured save for a small piece of glass that got into my eye while the other driver broke three limbs plus several ribs and ended up in hospital ( Mercedes-Benz 1 - Ford Capri 0 ) persuaded me to stick with Mercedes for the 30+ years since .

I replaced it with a W114 280E 5 speed manual which was a fantastic car and I put well over 200,000 miles onto it over the ten or eleven years I kept it .

I've actually come across this article from Mercedes Enthusiast Magazine which has a W114/5 buying guide.

Buyer's Guide: W114/115 - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

Really helpful for anyone else looking.

Even the article questions why anyone would want one (W114) when W123 successor looks similar and does everything better.

But I just want the rarity factor and the fact that I think it looks better than a W123 (even though I really like the W123 shape!)

Everyone keeps trying to convince me to get a W123 :rolleyes:

The gearbox is probably not right so you may need to do some work to it.
Could just need a good service though.

Although im sure they are only 3 speed so it will not change as often as a later 4 speed box.

hmm...:confused: cheers Jay :thumb:

Yeah they are all 3 speed autos.

I'm going to take my time and keep looking for the best one I can find for my budget (possibly upto 4k) if I save up for a bit.

Not the sort of car to buy in a rush really :)

I spent 3 months looking, the prices appear to have topped out around 4k, but everyone thinks theirs is worth that unless it needs work ( some even think the projects are worth that ). I sold my 115 230-4 on e-bay for £500 with 11 months Mot only 3 years ago.
VERY happy with my 230E for £600 .

Well had a look at one

71k miles and the panels and in inner arches seemed all nice and solid. Paint was in good condition.

Only bit of rust that I found was a hole at the top of the passenger footwell and drivers side footwell which has been patched up, but would need doing properly.

Only concern I have about the car is the auto gearbox, it seemed a bit "lazy or hanging" a bit when shifting up when trying to drive at a slowish speed around 20 mph. But on kickdown it was fine.

But the owner just said stick your foot down and it shifts up. Which it did.

The engine was nice and tight and pulled really well, the cam and cam followers have been replaced and the carbs recalibrated. Also has a custom stainless exhaust, Was really nice and smooth otherwise.

He wants 2k for it and says he'll put 12months mot on it.

As mentioned only concern is the gearbox is that something I should be worried about? Are they fairly easy to get hold of?

Appreciate the help.

I would worry about the footwell rust more, sounds like the bulkhead may be leaking through up under the dash.

Nice one Pete, so I should have enough money to buy myself a decent one then.

Just have to keep a look out now.

Yeah I'm staying clear of the one I mentioned, as it didn't seem to add up. Didn't seem like an honest car.

I would worry about the footwell rust more, sounds like the bulkhead may be leaking through up under the dash.

That was what killed my Fintail for me - most other areas I could have welded , but that was going to be too difficult .

The gearbox is probably not right so you may need to do some work to it.
Could just need a good service though.

Although im sure they are only 3 speed so it will not change as often as a later 4 speed box.

I will double check in the morning ( it has been 20 odd years since I last drove one and that was my manual 280 E ) , but I'm pretty certain they are 4 speed boxes - just like the ones in the 123 series - they will normally start in 2nd so give the impression of being 3 speeders , unless you select L from standstill or floor it to kickdown .

Some of the earlier V8 engines of that era were mated to three speeders , but the fours and sixes were all four speed .

The one I drove was definitely 3 speed

6a48f107.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom