W114 CE 250 Coupe undecided

Discussion in 'Bodywork' started by MCC250CeCoupe, Dec 4, 2018.

1. MCC250CeCoupe

MCC250CeCoupe New Member

Car:
    Mercedes 250 CE Coupe
    Hi guys, new here so be gentle with me unto I find my feet, I have a 71 CE 250 coupe in need of a bit of a restoration / TLC, I’m not exactly a total Merc man but could be swayed ! Had it up for sale but had a serious amount of time wasters so I’m now pondering the thought of restoring it myself, only part needed off hand that I need is DS wing, just wondering if it is considered sarcrelidgous to fit anything other than I genuine MB wing ? Only other bad bit is a hole at bottom of PS door but it will weld & she has a few bubbles of rust here & there but I think it should be a relatively easy mission to get her ready for paint, just curious on where I wouod obtain a new DS wing for this old lady !

2. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
  3. alabbasi

alabbasi Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Panel parts are fine but make sure you check the quality. I bought one from Euro car parts years and years ago and they were so thin, they would crease when anyone leaned on them. If you can find solid, genuine used ones. It would be better.

4. OP
    OP
    MCC250CeCoupe

MCC250CeCoupe New Member

Car:
    Mercedes 250 CE Coupe
    Thanks guys, I guess I’m ultimately thinking if the value of the car, I had tried to sell it as a resto car & still have it on Car & classic but people see the rusty wing & assume the car is rotten which it most certainly is not , I think to replace the wing & do a bit of a tidy up on it would be a good idea, I wonder has anyone on here found good high quality replacement wings for the w114

5. OP
    OP
    MCC250CeCoupe

MCC250CeCoupe New Member

Car:
    Mercedes 250 CE Coupe
    A408A93B-305F-4CFD-A159-CFE2A0A59DF9.jpeg [ATTAC

6. carlls

carlls Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2009 e320cdi 7 seater sports estate
    hi and welcome to the forum

MCC250CeCoupe likes this.
  7. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
  8. Charles Morgan

Charles Morgan MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
    Buy genuine. You'll save money in fitting and it will look right. Pattern invariably do not fit correctly in 3 dimensions.

However, Autoteile Glauner have a good selection of replacement parts at a much better price than Niemoller. I would avoid any secondhand parts especially wings, within two weeks of me sourcing a good one it had started bubbling round the headlights.

9. OP
    OP
    MCC250CeCoupe

MCC250CeCoupe New Member

Car:
    Mercedes 250 CE Coupe
    Thanks Charles I think I will contact MB, hopefully they have new old stock
    Thanks

10. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
  11. OP
    OP
    MCC250CeCoupe

MCC250CeCoupe New Member

Car:
    Mercedes 250 CE Coupe
    Yes, that’s my car, she’s a good sound motor but the wing did rust & it has put potential buyers off, I definitely wouod invest in a new original wing if I could get one, don’t know why it says 1972, the cars 71, must edit !

grober likes this.
  12. Scott_F

Scott_F Hardcore MB Enthusiast

I don't know how well you know this particular car but you acknowledge that you are "not exactly a total Merc man".

The problem with old vehicles is that a "hole in the bottom of the door" and "a few bubbles of rust here and there" are often indicative of much wider problems that can involve huge amounts of work to rectify and it may not actually be economically viable to do so. Therefore, your "relatively easy mission to get her ready for paint" might quickly uncover a great deal more corrosion than could initially be seen.

A sensible buyer will carry out as thorough an inspection as is reasonably possible but a wise one will assume that the visible rust is only the tip of the iceberg and will factor that into any deal. They may be lucky and find that there aren't too many hidden problems but it would be prudent to assume that there is more rot lurking out of sight.

13. OP
    OP
    MCC250CeCoupe

MCC250CeCoupe New Member

Car:
    Mercedes 250 CE Coupe
    Hi Scott, whilst I say I’m not a Merc man, I have had quite a few but my main interest is oldschool toyotas, I’m a time served mechanic & have restored a number of Celicas, corollas & a Celica Supra which have been in similar if not worse condition than this Merc & I know for sure that the old Merc is made of heavier gauge metal than any jap car ! I have also had an assessor do an inspection on the car for a potential buyer who is more than satisfied that the surface rust is repairable, however the thing I am debating here is if it would be possible to obtain a genuine new oldstock wing because if I’m going to go ahead & do the restoration myself I want to do it to the best of quality, welding the bottom of the door would not bother me, very small hole surrounded with strong material

14. Charles Morgan

Charles Morgan MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
    I have the slight advantage of having fully restored a W114 coupe and seen numerous in the process. These cars are highly prone to rust everywhere, and in numerous hidden places.

15. OP
    OP
    MCC250CeCoupe

MCC250CeCoupe New Member

Car:
    Mercedes 250 CE Coupe
    Have to say I’m pleasently pleased from what I’ve see so far, I have it on the lift & it is solid underneath, inner & outer sills are fine, wheel arches & boot & bulkhead all strong, having spoken to the second owner I have found out it was put in a shed & forgot about for 20years prior to that it was a summer car.
    I don’t suppose you know the availability of new MB wings & cost ?

16. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    POST UP YOUR VIN NUMBER.

17. alabbasi

alabbasi Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Buy one from me. Them wings don't rust in Texas :)

Charles Morgan likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    MCC250CeCoupe

MCC250CeCoupe New Member

Car:
    Mercedes 250 CE Coupe
    Chassis No 1140 22 22 012982

grober likes this.
  19. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    WING part nos are A1158801418 right viewed from drivers seat and A1158801318 left

20. OP
    OP
    MCC250CeCoupe

MCC250CeCoupe New Member

Car:
    Mercedes 250 CE Coupe
    Thanks Grober