W114 Engine cuts out when standing still??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goaldy

Hello all,

Very new to forums, i have a 1972 280 CE Coupe (W114.072), and it drives very nicely. However, when i come to a stop, or when the car is standing still, it shudders/shakes and cuts out. It is fine when the car is moving or in neutral, however standing still in Drive or reverse, cuts out.

I have had the following changed:

- ignition leads
- plugs

Any suggestions please???

same problem

I seem to be having the same issue with mines, it seems that my HT leads are wrong, do you now where i could find some cheap ones that will be right for my w114 280ce?

Sorry i can't help with the problem you are having.

Check the fuel-pressure if its the D-Jet. Should be 30PSI at the start-injector.

Check the second set of points in the distributor, and the idle mixture.

Check also the ignition coil and the elect control unit, These are known to give some very strange effects.

These engines dont 'like' cheapo Ign leads!

There could also be a hole in your exhaust, but close to the engine, maybe exhaust manifold. This will cause late gear changes in autos as well at the cutting out etc.

Hi Alastair E, Just parked car off road as tax is out, been to nearly every parts shop in town and the dealer and cannot find leads for this car. I think it is the leads as the ones in there now are nearly brand new, and have a completely different type of connector then the ones i need.

Hello all,

Very new to forums, i have a 1972 280 CE Coupe (W114.072), and it drives very nicely. However, when i come to a stop, or when the car is standing still, it shudders/shakes and cuts out. It is fine when the car is moving or in neutral, however standing still in Drive or reverse, cuts out.

I have had the following changed:

- ignition leads
- plugs

Any suggestions please???
check any vacuum lines /air filter. just curious what is a 69 w114 coupe in good condition with full historyand papers worth in pounds ,thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom