W114 starting problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55_animal

Guys need ur help...I just brought a w114 and it's been running fine,today I washed it,and there's a few knobs in the car which I dnt knw the function off,,,I messed about with them and now it dnt start,,it try's to turn but dnt fire...I can smell fuel,got the feeling I have flooded it,,,but I checks the plugs andthey are dry.the knobs are in the central console,at thebottom..they are the pull type...any ideas????

Those are for the hazard lights , heated rear window , rear interior light and other options . Nothing to do with the running of the car .

What is it ? 220.6 , 230.6 , 250 , 280 , 280E ?

Last edited:
it's a w114 250 but has a 280 engine,,I changed the ignition coil,distrubtr cap,plugs and the car still dnt start...it was running fine and all of a sudden it dnt start...it's not sparking..I can hear the fuel pump..and it tries to turn but no spark...it's probably something little but cnt figure it out. Helllppp

Did you ever solve this one as I'm having the same issue with w114 280e.
Thought maybe immobiliser but after reading your post It maybe something else.
I have managed to start up a few times in between?
I have checked plugs, leads, coil all seem ok ,fuel pump is priming,fuel is plentiful and flowing out the rail fine,but no spark? looked over the module on the inner wing by the coil??but as it has started On occasion, i don't think any of these components are faulty.

on the left of the engine bay, near the coil theres two resistors - one is for starting one for running iirc - check them.

Ok will have a look at them, thanks.
Any other ideas?

This may or may not help, but I've been looking at W114's for a while now and in my search an owner mentioned a second set of points - possibly for the fuel system ???- that lurk under or around the ignition points he described the fault above and until he was told of these points he spend hundreds on replacing various ignition and fuel parts...

I hope this helps rather than hinders and happy to be corrected if wrong.

The second set of points is under the main points in the dizzy but its for fuel iirc not ign so wouldnt stop the spark.

Interesting.
I havnt had a chance to investigate further, will update with findings, If i ever unearth the issue.

Pull one of the plug wires and attach it to a spare spark plug, then ground it (on the cam cover) and have someone crank the engine to see if you get a spark.
If you don't then you can check the coil, ignition module and the ballast resistors. Also test the ignition points as they send the signal to the coil to fire and the green wire that leads to the ignition box.

Once you get through all of that, get back to us :)

Hi.
Thanks for your reply.
Have tried the above previously, definately no spark when this problem occurs.
There was no spark at points, which lead me to same conclusion as you say above, coil or ignition module. Did not know about the resistors at the time, but as the the car fired up a few times after checking ruled out the two i mention. Have not tested the resistors. How would you advise to test them?

They're resistors, use a volt meter to read voltage on both sides. If you don't get any voltage, then it's the resistor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom