W115 Alternator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pete007

Car
w115 200 / 230e sold
Hi, I need a replacement alternator for my 1970 w115 (no output and old)
I have a number from the epc of A0081543202 which comes up as 55A but I thought mine was 35A as it has the external regulator, anyway I can't find a UK replacement.
I have also picked up some Bosch numbers of AL64X (35A) or AL72X (55A - apparently external reg - as an upgrade) but again no UK supplier.
To be honest I don't want to pay a fortune, some of the U.S. suppliers are reasonable prices for a reman. but require exchange and shipping may be an issue.
Any leads or advice please.

Well how about getting your alternator repaired,where abouts are you in the country.

Many thanks for the replies.
I am in Oxfordshire and would considered a repair, but haven't found a firm yet.
The prices for a reman Bosch from the U.S. is about $100 plus $90 exchange plus shipping so pretty cheap, but I hoped there was a UK equivalent. Don't want to pay 500 euro :-(

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/oenumber/a0081543202.html
JUDGING from a contemporary SL WIRING DIAGIAM of a 35 amp alternator-see link
Pagoda SL Group Technical Manual :: Electrical / Alternator
it's the self exciting type alternator controlled by a double contact vibrating contact external voltage regulator.

Pagoda SL Group Technical Manual :: Electrical / WiringDiagram

THIS SHOULD BE REPLACED BY A MORE MODERN DESIGN with an integral voltage regulator [55amp should be fine]---with suitable minor changes to the wiring-any decent vehicle electrician should be able to do this for you.
ps it's worth noting that the old alternator system external regulator is powered via the ignition switch/warning light bulb------ if it's blown the regulator will not get powered so so the field windings of the alternator will not get powered either meaning the alternator will not work! Sometimes it's merely a matter of replacing it withthe correct bulb that works!

Reactions: Ted
Are there brushes? If so, have you checked them?

I couldn’t put it better than @grober
There will be plenty of options, none of them prohibitively expensive.
Any good auto electrical place will be able to sort you out with either a replacement or repair 👍🏻👍🏻

Thanks for the suggestions, the warning light bulb is working so is almost certainly the alternator.
Electrician thought the alternator slip rings could be worn through so prefer a reman / new option.
I will certainly look into the internal regulator alternator option.
Thanks again.

Do not be tempted to uprate the new alternator output too far as the existing wiring gauge may be not be adequate for a large increase in output

Reactions: Ted
as the existing wiring gauge may be not be adequate for a large increase in output
The output is only every relevant if something is drawing it. You will be safe with a 200 A alternator but NOT is you draw those 200 A.

So, it is the current drawn that you should consider, not the current available.

R

Many thanks for the replies.
I am in Oxfordshire and would considered a repair, but haven't found a firm yet.
The prices for a reman Bosch from the U.S. is about $100 plus $90 exchange plus shipping so pretty cheap, but I hoped there was a UK equivalent. Don't want to pay 500 euro :-(
Well it has been years since I had motors and alternators repaired in essex,suspect the companies I used have long gone,I looked online and I like the way this guy sets out his stall,jasm.co.uk he only repairs alternators and seems well cheap but he is near Southampton.01489 788121

The output is only every relevant if something is drawing it. You will be safe with a 200 A alternator but NOT is you draw those 200 A.

So, it is the current drawn that you should consider, not the current available.

R
In theory yes @RAY- as these older models usually have modest running demands- no electric windows/seats, air con, abs, infotainment system etc. however there will be brief periods demanding peak available current output----battery recharge after prolonged turning over the engine on a cold morning being one - besides which cost and size [ to fit] may also figure in the equation hence my recommendation for an alternator with only a modest increase in output?

Thanks for the suggestions, the warning light bulb is working so is almost certainly the alternator.
Electrician thought the alternator slip rings could be worn through so prefer a reman / new option.
I will certainly look into the internal regulator alternator option.
Thanks again.
Thought? What use is 'thought'?
The brushes will wear before the slip ring and cost buttons.

MEANT to post this at the time but shows a simple wiring conversion from external regulator type alternator to one with an internal regulator wiring details will be different and its a GM car- but principles are the same.

try
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom