W115 car Ariel placement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mattwebb

Car
W201 2.0, w115 240D
Maybe im being stupid but ever since I've had my w115 (restoring it ) I can't see where the Ariel goes for the radio ! It's been on the drivers floor for ages and I don't have a clue where to mount it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated ! I'm learning as I go :)

I also have a small issue with the radio and speaker, it just isn't making any noise when powered on I can have the speaker engage but it's very quiet and hardly hear a thing ! Scanning stations I don't get no sound either so I'm confused :(

I'm thinking of fitting a new stereo (of period) if possible is the wiring Easy to do? I only have a live cable and a ground and then the Ariel, I'm assuming I just look at the diagram it comes with and Connect them accordly ?

Matt

Pretty sure the aerial goes 6-8 inches from the screen on the drivers side front wing. It might even be a high angle aerial a la original beetle. May be worth trying a new speaker and seeing how that goes - it would be a shame to ditch a period radio. If you do get it to work, don't forget you will need to match the aerial to the radio - usually done by tuning to a weak station on medium wave and turning a very small screw at the front of the set until best reception is obtained.

Last edited:
As Ted says aerials of that period normally mounted on the front wing. 2 schools of thought. Offside wing more likely to interfere with drivers line of sight/ nearside wing more likely to be vandalised/ struck by pedestrians. Electrically speaking an aerial mounted on the side of the engine furthest from the HT spark plugs and distributor might be less likely to suffer from ignition interference if not adequately screened ? Most likely the orginal wing has been replaced and maybe the the aerial mounting hole disappeared with it?
In terms of signal remember the aerial base should be earthed to the car body and the the coax outer to the radio via the radio socket. The car radio cover/chassis being earthed to the body of the car of course.

p.s. speaker impedance [ if not orginal] should match the radio designed output

http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm

Last edited:
I'll measure my location in the morning, it's on the osf wing close to the screen. Photo below.

w114home5_zpslv3f2egr.jpg

Wiring up a new stereo is straightforward, work out where you want the speakers to go. Period placement is under the dash on the transmission tunnel side of the footwell. Parcel shelf is an option (you'll need to go through the carpeted shelf though). If you have good doorcards do not ruin them by putting speakers through them.

Last edited:
Some hopefully self explanatory photos. All measurements are taken to the centre of the aerial mast, which is the centre of the hole in the wing - the size will depend upon the aerial width you have. The last photo has been chopped by the iphone but the tape measure starts in the gap between the wing and the door that is clearly visible in photo 1. You may have different wings (pattern possibly) and the chrome windscreen surround is different on the saloon to the coupe.

aerial1_zpsgpiuawys.jpg

aerial2_zpsr8r4c0cp.jpg

aerial3_zpseyakgjy0.jpg

aerial4_zpsw4txqoml.jpg

aerial5_zpsqhohdqjz.jpg

Last edited:
Amusingly we cut the hole in the wing precisely to the dimensions and location set out in the leaflet that came with the recommended Hirschmann electric aerial, to find it didn't then fit under the wing. I have another make (Sim told me the name as we did a swap, but I can't recall) but the manual Hirschmann ones (I have a brand new one unused) do fit.

Some hopefully self explanatory photos. All measurements are taken to the centre of the aerial mast, which is the centre of the hole in the wing - the size will depend upon the aerial width you have. The last photo has been chopped by the iphone but the tape measure starts in the gap between the wing and the door that is clearly visible in photo 1. You may have different wings (pattern possibly) and the chrome windscreen surround is different on the saloon to the coupe.

aerial1_zpsgpiuawys.jpg

aerial2_zpsr8r4c0cp.jpg

aerial3_zpseyakgjy0.jpg

aerial4_zpsw4txqoml.jpg

aerial5_zpsqhohdqjz.jpg
[/

I really appreciate the help with this and I've fitted one of them to my w123 so I know how they work :) I'll make sure the clearance Is there also !

Once again thanks guys

Matt

My 450SE 116 has the aerial there and the later MB workshop manual says it should be and gives those dimensions. However when the SEL version was introduced the aerial was moved to the nearside rear wing. The manual though makes no mention of the aerial relocation. The wiring diagram I saw included an amplifier and a fade switch for the rear speakers.

I have a brand new & unused Hirshmann mast with the nylon cord. £35 posted in the U.K.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom