W115 Owner Advice Needed: Buying a 1976 240D

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Purchased the car today and drove 175 miles from the Cotswolds back to London. The car drove in the most delightful way imaginable - very peppy and fun in the corners (I was expecting a slow barge!)

Ive noticed several small issues which I will post tomorrow but found nearly no rust under the car. I did find noticeable engine blowby (demonstrated by the dancing oil cap) but the car started instantly when cold, emitted no black or white smoke and drove like a new car (no exaggeration here). The previous owner did share that the car wasn’t used for nine years, which may be the cause:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Going to run Auto-Rx engine oil treatment and do a diesel purge to try and cleanse the internals next.

A lot of blow-by points towards combustion gases escaping past valve seats or piston rings. Its possible the engine is fairly evenly worn or if you are lucky combustion gas leakage may confined to one cylinder only. You need to run a compression test on all cylinders to see if one or more is down on the others. Diesels usually need a special tester because their compression ratio is much higher than petrols.
quote:-
The job is pretty straightforward, you connect the gauge, after removing all the injector pipes, in place of the injector or the glow plug depending on the fitting you have available and then crank the engine while you watch the gauge, repeated for each cylinder, any more than 10% variance between cylinders shows a loss of compression in the cylinders with lower compression. If you inject oil in the cylinders with low (this is a leakdown test) compression and the compression comes up, you have worn rings, if it stays the same, you have worn valve seats.
lots of videos/advice about this online.
Diesel Engine Compression Test Guide by Kent Bergsma | Mercedessource Manuals Product | MercedesSource.com

Reactions: 219
^^Removing injectors and glow plugs that could have been in place for decades may not be "pretty straightforward" of course.

A W114 220/6 limousine in VGC has just appeared in Thomson’s vehicle dismantlers in Galashiels , I am informed.

Breaking only , not for sale complete .

Thought I'd circle back to this thread to share that the car is back following a radiator leak issue. It is now leak free and running at a constant steady temperature regardless of traffic or speed. Fan belt squeal is also gone, probably due to the new MB water pump.

We really went to town on preventative maintenance over the past 6 months. The list of completed items includes:

1) New MB short hose
2) New MB Water pump
3) New MB Thermostat
4) New MB Fan Belts
5) New Monark pencil glow plugs
6) New Monark injector nozzles (Rebuilt by Diesel Injector Guru)
7) New OFV (from Diesel Injector Guru)
8) New MB Oil Cooler Hoses (New Old Stock)
9) New MB fuel filters and hoses
10) New MB Voltage regulator
11) New MB Engine and transmission mounts
12) Replaced Shifter assembly and new MB shifter bushings
13) New MB front wheel bearings, grease, caliper, rotors and brake hoses
14) New MB Speedo cable and blinker relay
15) Replaced exhaust downpipe and mid pipe with stainless steel unit
16) Rebuilt Radiator and steam cleaned and painted oil cooler
17) Sanded down all pitting/ corrosion from aluminum housings
18) New Continental Eco Contact 6 175/80 R14 tyres on MB Aluminium "Steelie" wheels (half the weight of the steel wheels)

Interestingly and unexpectedly, the car's heating system has REALLY improved. Heats up noticeably in <5 mins and get's really toasty in <10 mins. And that's without the fan on. The car is much quieter at idle and power delivery has become much more refined.

It's coming along nicely! Next step is to find a good bodyshop that understands these cars (and that won't bankrupt me)

Attachments

• IMG_7030.jpg
    IMG_7030.jpg
    872.4 KB · Views: 15
Looks nice a nice buy. If you're going to do the engine mounts and sway bar drop links, you might as well do the sub frame mounts and shocks while you're in there. You discovered the W114/W115 secret. They handle like a much smaller sports car and are quite fun to throw around the corner.

I also know a Lebanese guy in Park Royal who runs a body shop that might be able to help you. If you don't already know, these cars are casually known as the Beirut taxi. I suspect that he will be familiar with them. PM for details.

If you're going to do the engine mounts and sway bar drop links, you might as well do the sub frame mounts and shocks while you're in there.

Great minds, I have the full set of MB subframe mounts, differential mount and Bilstein Heavy Duty Shocks waiting to go on the car. You're right about the W115 - drives like nothing I've ever experienced before. Waaaay more sporty than most saloons!

Out with the old...

Amazing to think so many of these parts were installed from the factory 44 years ago. This is why I'll only ever install Mercedes dealer parts unless unavailable anywhere.

Attachments

• IMG_8413.JPG
    IMG_8413.JPG
    236.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8414.JPG
    IMG_8414.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8415.JPG
    IMG_8415.JPG
    211.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8416.JPG
    IMG_8416.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8417.JPG
    IMG_8417.JPG
    214.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8418.JPG
    IMG_8418.JPG
    299.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8419.JPG
    IMG_8419.JPG
    268.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8420.JPG
    IMG_8420.JPG
    238.2 KB · Views: 14
Looks like it's time for an alignment. Don't sweat the blow by, if you oil cap isnt doing a dance on the cam cover, the engine is probably not running.

Great minds, I have the full set of MB subframe mounts, differential mount and Bilstein Heavy Duty Shocks waiting to go on the car. You're right about the W115 - drives like nothing I've ever experienced before. Waaaay more sporty than most saloons!
Yep , the W115 was quite a nimble car , with great roadholding , the W114 less so , due to the heavier engines upfront . I drove my dad's W115 220/8 from almost new , learned to drive in it and passed my test in it , then he gave it to me when he replaced it with a new W123 .

Sadly , I had a bad crash in it , when an idiot came round a bend on the wrong side of the road and hit me head on ; but even an 8 year old W115 was a very safe place to be in a crash , and thats why I stuck with Mercedes ever since . I replaced the 220/8 with a late facelift W114 280E , actually one of the very last ones with 5 speed manual box - that was a flying machine , and only 3 years old with 40,000 miles when I got it , so by todays standards a pretty new car .

While the 220 was extremely 'chuckable' , and could easily be thrown into four wheel drifts and handled with aplomb ; cornering was amazing and used to impress even an Alfasud owning pal at the time ; the 280E , with the big , heavy M110 up front was a bit more of a barge - there wasn't anything wrong with the car , just a lot less willing to change direction , and the suspension setup was softer and more wallowy ..... they were probably working towards the W123 at the time , which was known from the start for its barge like handling characteristics , and which was addressed by the W124 , which again handled a bit more like a W115 .

I have fond memories of these cars , and wouldn't mind another one , but good ones are very very hard to find now - I think you've been very fortunate with that one .

Crankcase breather blocked ?

Could be. I don't know why we didn't think to check that.

they were probably working towards the W123 at the time , which was known from the start for its barge like handling characteristics , and which was addressed by the W124 , which again handled a bit more like a W115 .

I have fond memories of these cars , and wouldn't mind another one , but good ones are very very hard to find now - I think you've been very fortunate with that one .

I currently own all 3. The W123 (300D Auto) is definitely the most comfortable and pliant on the road. It's no American car when the suspension is sorted but its definitely not as nimble as the Stroke 8. The W124 (E220) is lighter and quicker, yes, but it doesn't quite handle as nicely or feel as solid. A middle of the road compromise perhaps but not as pure. If I could pick only one, I'd pick the W115 (240D) every day. It's just so much fun when sorted and with a manual transmission!

While the 220 was extremely 'chuckable' , and could easily be thrown into four wheel drifts and handled with aplomb ; cornering was amazing and used to impress even an Alfasud owning pal at the time ; the 280E , with the big , heavy M110 up front was a bit more of a barge - there wasn't anything wrong with the car , just a lot less willing to change direction , and the suspension setup was softer and more wallowy ..... they were probably working towards the W123 at the time , which was known from the start for its barge like handling characteristics , and which was addressed by the W124 , which again handled a bit more like a W115 .

Due to its semi-swing arm rear suspension?

Due to its semi-swing arm rear suspension?
Yep , the diagonal-pedelachse was certainly an improvement over the swing axles which went before , and was used on many models until the later multi link rear suspensions came out , following first use in the W201 .

While the 220 was extremely 'chuckable' , and could easily be thrown into four wheel drifts and handled with aplomb ; cornering was amazing and used to impress even an Alfasud owning pal at the time ; the 280E , with the big , heavy M110 up front was a bit more of a barge - there wasn't anything wrong with the car , just a lot less willing to change direction , and the suspension setup was softer and more wallowy ..... they were probably working towards the W123 at the time , which was known from the start for its barge like handling characteristics, and which was addressed by the W124 , which again handled a bit more like a W115 .

Yep , the diagonal-pedelachse was certainly an improvement over the swing axles which went before , and was used on many models until the later multi link rear suspensions came out , following first use in the W201 .

Does not compute!

I always found my 115 more comfy than any 123 I had (mainly due to the seats), and 124 probably more solid to drive than both, but I would purely put that down to it having been newer and in better condition at the time. If I could pick only one it would also be a manual 115 diesel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom