W115 Unknown age?!?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Somebody

Car
500SEC
Hey everybody.

I remember I used to be on this forum quiet a lot a while ago when I was messing with 126s and everybody seemed friendly and knowledgeable so I figured I would try you guys with this question.

I wasn't sure which section to post it in so I figured General is probably as close as anything.

After about a year of being sensible i done got myself a piece of junk again. W115 that's been sitting in a barn for who knows how long. She beautiful thats for sure, pretty rusted out but a nice original example.

Problem is, nobody can figure out how old it is! The owner died off prolly before I was even born and any paperwork it had has been lost since.

MB themselves are pretty useless cause they want a title with my name on it to prove its mine before they give me any info. But I can't show them a title in my name cause to get that I need to register it, and to register it I need to know how old the damn thing is!

All I know is that it's a late model, but that still leaves most of the 1970s.

Anybody happen to know what I can do?

Thanks

Surely to prove you own it only requires a receipt of purchase or transfer of ownership if it was donated to you?

AFAIK the registered keeper is not always the owner -

"A registration document (V5) is not proof of ownership. The registered keeper should be the person who is actually using / keeping the vehicle and this is not necessarily the owner of the vehicle or the person who is paying for it."

Yeah, thats what I thought. A registration is only proof of who gets the speeding tickets for that car. You can still physically own a piece of metal even if its not registered with any government department, right?

Maybe I should just send them the receipt for buying it.

I was hoping tho that somebody on here would know a way to decode the serial number or something. It seems that the older Benzes didn't have a nice neat system like Volkswagen did when one character in the frame number represents the year. Or did they?

Datacard info only goes back to about the mid eighties.

Your only recourse is to supply the VIN to MB for them to look up and if they want proof of ownership, supply it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom