W116 450 SEL Fuel Starvation Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EDZ649

MB Enthusiast
Car
W210 E55 AMG
I seem to have a fuel starvation issue on the W116.

The car will start no problem, in fact it fires up first time. The cold start system seems to work fine and after a while the revs drop down to normal idle speed, albeit a very lump idle.

If I press the throttle the engine dies immediately, even if I press it very gently.

The car will start again straight away but dies as soon as I press the throttle again.

Any ideas guys?:)

Vacuum leak on the induction side ?

Blocked fuel filter ; faulty fuel pump ( IIRC dual pumps so one might be faulty ) or FPR ?

Might be useful to monitor the fuel pressure- usually a take off point somewhere in the plumbing? Symptoms do sound like fuel starvation.

Does it have a metering head and airflow meter? May be worth whipping off the airfilter and cleaning everything up. If its stood for a while it could just be crap petrol pulling its way through. Dont use injector cleaner or you'll end up with loads of crap going through the system.

On older INJECTION systems like these my first port of call is the Warm up regulator A bimetal strip+heater/ little control springs/ a vacuum diaphragm/ vacuum connections and pipe work- all things liable to fall over with age. :eek: Easiest test is a straight swap with a proven working one.

I had exactly these symptoms with a 190E - turned out to be a vacuum pipe that had come off on the induction side of the engine - under the air filter - clue was the hissing sound that could be heard under the bonnet when the engine was idling - fortunately the pipe just needed put back in place and problem never recurred .

On the W116 , it is entirely possible that some rubber part may have perished and cracked - worth cocking an ear under the bonnet at tickover and listening for any vacuum leaks . Just a thought - any disconnected vacuum pipes round about the removed wing ? Is central locking working OK - that system is entirely driven by engine vacuum using accumulator spheres (like the ones visible where the wing has been removed , are they cracked ? ) and one way valves - a fault here could affect the engine running .

Last edited:
Thank you guys, my first thought was the fuel pressure regulator but Olly mentioned yesterday that some of the rubber parts could have failed. Will have a play and see what transpires!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom