W116 450 SEL Restoration Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EDZ649

MB Enthusiast
Car
W210 E55 AMG
Well having owned the car for a couple of weeks and following on from this thread:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/84741-my-latest-aquisition.html

I thought I'd get this project thread started so I can share all my forthcoming joys and troubles with you guys!:D

I'm fortunate enough to have a garage right opposite my works unit and I have become very good friends with the owner Darren, so I now have access to the ramp at the weekends which is a real bonus!

I managed to get some time over last weekend to give it a good going over and this is what I found:

First up was a general once over of the mechanical status:

1). All five tyres are perished. New set will be needed before the MOT.

2). Bad fuel leak from both the steel pipes near the fuel pump.

3). N/S/R SLS shock leaking badly and Hydraulic oil reservoir empty.

4). Large holes in the exhaust system.

5). Poor running i.e. engine cuts out when the accelerator is pressed.

6). Starter motor doesn't always engage.

7). Ignition barrel is worn and tempremental.

8). Leak from ATF sump and transmission cooling pipe banjo connections.

9). Rear brake pads low.

10). Corrosion to brake pipes.

11). Brake flexi hoses slight cracking.

12). Brake fluid is black.

13). Engine oil is clean as a whistle:)

14). Melted wiring in engine bay on near side.

Second up was a good check over the structure and bodywork:

1). N/S/F wing badly corroded. O/S/F wing missing!

2). Front valance badly corroded.

3). Bad corrosion around the bottom of the offside 'A' pillar where the windscreen meets the scuttle panel.

4). Both outer sills corroded and poorly repaired in the past.

5). Minor corrosion to the bottom of the nearside doors.

6). Minor corrosion around the N/S/R light cluster.

7). Sunroof has been sealed up.

8). Chassis is very solid including all suspension mounts, cross members and floor pans.

9). Front cross member badly corroded.

10). Front bumper brackets corroded.

11). N/S inner wing corroded.

12). O/S inner wing slight corrosion.

13). Door seals are perished.

All in all not too bad I guess considering she is 30 years old!

Here is the rear box in a sorry state!

CIMG4853.jpg

And the centre box...
CIMG4854.jpg

Bottom of leaking SLS rear shock....

CIMG4855.jpg

Poor repair to N/S outer sill...

CIMG4845.jpg

A very poorly front cross member....

CIMG4963.jpg

Corrosion to the bottom of the O/S 'A' Pillar/Scuttle. Windscreen out to repair this!

CIMG4971.jpg

Rusty door...

CIMG4987.jpg

Rusty headlight bowls...

CIMG4959.jpg

Solid chassis...

CIMG4866.jpg

O/S front wing removed...

CIMG4968.jpg

Melted wiring...

CIMG4955.jpg

This is what she looks like at the moment...

CIMG4966.jpg

Having taken a deep breath after finding that lot I realised that the majority is fairly minor stuff although not necessarily cheap to rectify. Years ago I would have run a mile from corrosion like this but it looks far worse than it really is.

So the hunt begins for good secondhand body parts. I have already bought an excellent pair of used wings and front valance. The wings that came with the car as spares were no where near good enough to grace this beauty, only the best will do!:)

The mechanical stuff will start shortly. I have sourced a secondhand starter motor, complete lock set and purchased new brake flexi hoses, pads, ATF filter & gasket, oil filter etc...

New copper brake pipes will be fitted all round too as the underside of the car has been sprayed in Shultz so any possible corrosion is hidden and I do not have the time or inclination to scrape it off every pipe!

I hope you guys will find this thread interesting and informative as it progresses. I will update as soon as the mechanical work has started.

Leigh.

Last edited:
Wow, looks like you've got your work cut out there!! Nice project & i'll be watching the thread with interest as it progresses.

good luck

Plenty to be getting on with. You're a braver man than I..

Cheers,

Gaz

Good luck. Very nice project. I father still dreams about one of them after we had 4 of W123. Keep on posted so we can follow up your progress.

You've got alot to get going with there! Just don't do what most do and get bored once you're finished!

You've got alot to get going with there! Just don't do what most do and get bored once you're finished!

Actually I quite fancy hiring it out for weddings/prom nights when its done. My biggest problem is finding somewhere to park it when it's done. Still, looks like I'm gunna have plenty of time to sort that out!:)

Leigh:well done for going through this mate:thumb:,just a few things though
Are you going to keep the same colour,are you going to get some leathers?

Last edited:
Yes mate, keeping it the same colour, I want to keep it as near to original as possible. Plus it will be easier than a colour change, engine bay, boot, door shuts etc..

Did you mean leather? No, as above keeping it original. the interior is in pretty good condition, just needs a good clean...

Do you want to borrow my "learn to weld" book ?!?!?!

Good luck Leigh

You've started - so you'll have to finish!

All the best - £10k should see you with a minter.

Will you be asking the Mods to move this to the projects section?

You've started - so you'll have to finish!

All the best - £10k should see you with a minter.

Will you be asking the Mods to move this to the projects section?

I asked the mods before I started the thread and was asked to start it here and they will move it later for some reason:confused:

Last edited:
Well it's been a while since I posted about this project and to be honest not much has happened, through no fault of my own I hasten to add :(

Having said that the more I looked at the car the more I realised that it was not going to be worth the money needed to bring it back to how I would want it to be.

So......

Another one came up for sale recently for a very reasonable price, identical to this one with the exception of the interior which is blue leather. It is in pretty good shape apart from cosmetics and had a new MOT issued in April with no advisories.

It was too good an opportunity to miss so I collected it today from Banbury, Northants and drove it back 150 miles in the lovely pouring rain!

It drove really well, very smooth and plenty of power. It's got a custom made stainless exhaust fitted too which is a real bonus. It sounds very deep and throaty, makes the V8 sound like it should!:devil:

There are the usual niggles, leaky sunroof, starter motor is very noisy, lumpy idling, the heater blows hot all the time, one of the camshafts is rattling and the steering is a little vague :D. It also needs a really good clean inside!

It has spent some it's life in spain which would account for the solid condition and has been fitted with a KPH only speedo at some point which shows 43,000km. I would imagine it's done more miles than that but sadly I have no paperwork for it prior to it being brought back into this country in 1999.

Mechanically it seems to have been well looked after and had some serious money thrown at it in the recent past.

Anyway, the plan is to use the other car as a donor to make this one really nice, without having to have major welding and panel work done, famous last words!

I will post up some pictures in the next few days when I get a chance :)

Still waiting to see those pic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom