W116 Screen fitting help/advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

isobars

Car
300SD'79, E300TD '95, 300TDT '82, 280CE '84, 250L '84, 300SEL LPG '91, 300D '80, 300CE '91, 300E '89
Hi All,

I have new rubbers and a rear screen without de-lamination, I just don't have the courage to try and fit it myself.
Has anyone done this or does anyone know of someone who can - more to the point, perhaps

Cheers,

Paul

Not exactly local to you but Oldschool Windscreens in Chertsey would be my choice. Very knowledgeable about older cars and the potential issues

Many thanks for that. I pass very close on my trips North so I could drop it there and collect it on the way back! That could be the best solution. Thanks again.
Cheers,

Paul

It is much easier than you might think. I have just done the front screen on my W116 450SE. I had not fitted any auto glass before so was very apprehensive but after a bit of a struggle with the chrome trim fitted the screen without problem. As far as I know the rear trim can be fitted after fitting the screen. It has to be fitted first on the front screen. To remove the glass I found it easier to just cut the front of the old seal and lift the glass out. You will have to remove the interior trim to fit the glass. If you want details on that let me know. Fit the seal to the glass and run a thick cord into the seal that fits around the metal edge of the opening. Place the glass with seal resting on the bottom edge and the two ends of the cord inside the car bottom centre. Then with someone outside pushing on the glass slowly pull the cords into the car which will lift the edge of the seal over the metal edge. The one other thing to remember is the wires to the heated window so just ease the glass out before disconnecting it. It really is much easier than you might think - good luck.

Many Thanks Marku!

That's very reassuring.

I'll give it a go. Did you use non-setting adhesive?

Cheers,

Paul

No but you can run a sealant round to be really sure although it can get very messy and the new seal should more than do the job.

Hi Marku,

Thanks for the tip.

I pulled out the rear C panels, the parcel shelf. seats and shelf rear lip this afternoon. I can't get the rear roof panel out, I'll have a think again overnight unless you know of an easy way?

The car was from Florida and the seal is almost welded to the chrome and the glass!

Cheers,

Paul

You don't need to remove anything from the roof I didn't have to remove anything when I did the front and there is nothing in the manual to say so either. Although the manual says remove the seal from the inside levering outwards with a plastic wedge I found it easier to cut the seal where it overlaps the glass and then lever it free from the seal and lift away. If it is a heated window be careful of either the side rails or wires to the heating element. Its much easier to do it that way and then the remaining seal will just pull away from the car. MB says use a sealing compound both in the part of the seal that fits the metal and that to the glass. Your choice really can get a bit messy but it does make sure of no leaks. I didn't bother as mine does not go out in the rain! When fitting remember to pull the cords as near as possible parallel with the seal to avoid damaging the lip. Lift the glass fitted with the seal and cord so that the bottom lip engages with the metal edge with cord ends inside centre. Pull the cords to fit the bottom and then both sides. The top is last and will run quite easily behind the headlining etc. Good luck

Hi Marku,

Thanks for the info.

I managed to get the rear one in yesterday. The front on had been re-done and they'd used a hard sealant so there's some fun to come with that.

I removed them as you suggested, however the bloke who was helping me fit it fitted it with the aid his pal whilst I had to nip upstairs and didn't put any flexible mastic in the groove or on the frame - thinking it would be a nice surprise and thinking he knew better!

There now sits a 10x2mm gap close to the bottom corner between the rubber and glass. I don't know if fitting the chrome strip will create enough pressure to keep it watertight. I think as it's nice and supple and humpty is not yet back together I might as well do it again myself - or was one of your joints a little high prior to the re-chroming?

Cheers,

Paul

I finished off by going round the seal with a rubber hammer - making sure it was all seated. The chrome on the front has to be fitted to the seal before fitting in the car. You cannot do it after. Also the replacement seal for the front is different from the old in that it has a lip under which the inner edge of the chrome has to fit. It is critical that this fits or it will not sit flat. Why MB did this I can't imagine. Make sure that your chrome is well in the seal and a tight fit. The ends should nearly touch. It should all sit quite flat then. Good to hear it was successful it is a bit intimidating at first but is not really difficult except for the front chrome of course but that's another story.

Many thanks once again.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom