w123 230e. Changing the timing chain and tensioner.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Richie

I am thinking about changing the timing chain and tensioner on my merc w123 230e it is a 1985 car. The reason i am thinking about doing it myself because if i take it to a garage they will probably put an aprentice on it any way and i am worried if they mess it up basically how would you rate changing them out of 10 and can you give me any pointers. Cheers.

Change the plastic guides at the same time as they age and can break.

Split the chain with a splitter or angle grind the rivet heads off, attach the new chain and whilst keeping it tight and on the cam sprocket wind the engine round until the chain is on all the way.
Some people do this using the starter but that leaves no margin for error and isn't for the feint hearted.

To be on the safe side always turn the engine over BY HAND for two or more revolutions before firing up.

Standing in front of the car looking at the engine just below the exhaust manifold you will see a 17mm hex socket. Carefully and I do mean carfully remove this as it is the chain tensioner. Anothr thing to be wary of is removing the pins that hold the guides in. they are threaded 8mm so you can either put a bolt in and use a sliding hammer (means you need to remove the rad) or a bolt and socket to screw the pin out. Being the age your car is means (as I found out) the threads can snap and leave the pin in. If this does happen to you give us a shout and I will tell you how to rectify the problem. Best of luck. I do advise doing exactly as Dieselman suggests.

I have the autodata cd which has good illustrations of how to do this. Send me a pm if u still need this. (not at home right now)

Thanks

jay

Hi again, I hijack this because I have a 1985 w123 200 saloon carburator and going to replace the timing chain but can´t find no good instructions or pictures, Maby some in the forum have?

Regards
Eilert

It's not a hard job but you need to be super careful. If you can, have a second person with you who can make sure that the old chain does not slip and drop into the engine. I get a huge bag of zip ties for when I do this job.

Thanks. Can not get in to the forum.Forbidden

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom