W123 230E fan clutch electromagnet woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chrisd87

Car
190e 2.6 / W123 230 / W123 230E
I have a shed of an '82 W123 230E, with a failed water pump and fan clutch electromagnet. The pump bearing is noisy and the magnet appears to have swollen up and expelled some dark substance. It's also stuck incredibly tightly to the nose of the water pump. Both therefore need replacing. I have a new pump, but the magnet is proving more of a problem. By the looks of things, the design changed several times over the course of M102 engine production. The earlier magnets (the one on my car included) bolt to the water pump using three 'legs', whereas the later ones appear to be an interference fit on the water pump nose(?). The later type is available as a pattern part (Trucktec 02.19.047) but the early type looks to be unavailable - I can't even find one secondhand.

Does anyone know if the later types of electromagnet will fit the earlier type water pump? If not, is there a known work-around to this situation? The only thing I can think of is ditching the original fan and installing an aftermarket electric one.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom