W123 240D Can I lower this car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cdc02254

Car
1979 W123 240D-1983 W123 230e
Well as you can see from the title I want to know if I can lower this car?, if so its it difficult and where can I buy kits or parts.

The thing is I need to replace the rear springs and looking at it I kind of like the lower rear.

Just been looking at the complete suspension kit :-
Spax Mercedes W123, 200 - 230/D (Excluding T series) 76-84 Ride Adjustable Suspension Lowers by:40 (P074)

And it notes that this cannot be fitted to a car with self levelling suspension, which w123's had this?. My car is a W123 which was a 2l petrol but now has a 240D engine. Is this going to cause any problems?

Also does anyone know where to get hold of polyurethane bushes for these cars?

there may not be a kit so you may have to buy front & rear seperately... email H&R, they will supply the part numbers you need and you can then supply these to any H&R dealer in the UK.

Couldnt find a H&R kit for a w123.

tp.gif

Mercedes Benz W123 Estate, 76>85 - All 4 Cyl.
H&R Sports Spring Kit, Lowers By: 30mm
ONLY £315.14 (inc VAT)
Delivery on this item is £8.95 30mm
basket_div_rule.gif

Customer Rating
4.0.gif

basket_div_rule.gif

basket_div_rule.gif

save.gif

tp.gif

Mercedes Benz W123 Estate, 76>85 - All 5+6 Cyl. + Diesel
H&R Sports Spring Kit, Lowers By: 30mm
ONLY £315.14 (inc VAT)
Delivery on this item is £8.95 30mm
basket_div_rule.gif

Customer Rating
4.0.gif

basket_div_rule.gif

basket_div_rule.gif

save.gif

tp.gif

Mercedes Benz W123, W123 D, W123 C, 76>85 - All 4 Cyl.
H&R Sports Spring Kit, Extreme Low Version, Lowers By: 50mm
ONLY £290.86 (inc VAT)
Delivery on this item is £8.95 50mm
basket_div_rule.gif

Customer Rating
4.0.gif

basket_div_rule.gif

basket_div_rule.gif

save.gif

tp.gif

Mercedes Benz W123, W123 D, W123 C, 76>85 - All 5+6 Cyl. + Diesel
ONLY £290.86 (inc VAT)
Delivery on this item is £8.95

Wow, I didnt even get chance to find the H&R uk website.
Thanks

Just been thinking, what is the common fault when the back end of a W123 is low?.
The car is very spongy, is it shocks or springs?.

Would you always replace both springs and shocks at the same time?. if the car was low on the back.

Low = springs

Bouncy = Shocks

Always replace as an axle pair and in you case I would suggest springs and shocks

love the matching wheels so much my girlfriend wants a 123

Do give this thought ...

My car is a W123 which was a 2l petrol but now has a 240D engine. Is this going to cause any problems?

Yes, it might cause grief.

The reason is that the front end weight of your car in now unknown (by me anyway!).

The simplest thing is to get original MB springs and, in doing that, you need to give MB your VIN. The VIN tells them exactly how many 'points' your car has - these points relate to the weight on the front and rear springs.

The only problem is that your engine was replaced with a heavier diesel. So how do we calculate the points?

All I can say is that you MUST ONLY buy springs from a company that understands this points issue. If a supplier says, "Don't worry, this kit fits all W123s", be suspicious.

The only suppliers I've tried that ask about points and can calculate them from a VIN are:

MB
Bilstein (the B12 springs & dampers kit)
H&R (for springs)
Eibach (for springs).

There may be others.

Good luck in your search.

RayH

That's interesting, I have noticed that the SPAX set has a D on it and states not suitable for estates. This made me believe it wasn't a generic kit.
I will e-mail SPAX now and ask them.

Just received a message back from spax, they simply state the kit will suit all W123's except estates. The kit has "on-car damping adjustment". Would this allow for the difference in engine weights?

On car damping adjustment usually means the shockers can be tuned to your liking. There is a small adjusting screw on the shocker body that changes the restriction on the oil flow within the unit.

WRT the change in weight this will be something for the springs to deal with. Put springs from a petrol engine model on a diesel the car will sit low and tend to ride soft.

Maybe I should try and buy the springs and shocks separately, I am confused.

The H&R springs cover a wide range of engines for one set of springs this is the same as the SPAX kit covers :-
Mercedes Benz W123, W123 D, W123 C, 76>85 - All 4 Cyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom