W123 280 CE Fuel Accumulator

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasfryn

Car
280ce
Can anyone advise, is the fuel accumulator listed as number 56 on the attached diagram

many thanks

Attachments

• 0DDBEC2B-CE65-49C0-82DC-A8BE5AF62D76.jpeg
    0DDBEC2B-CE65-49C0-82DC-A8BE5AF62D76.jpeg
    329.1 KB · Views: 16
Hi there, are you after the part number ?

No 23 I think ; 56 looks like a fuel pump to me , and 5 the inline fuel filter .

How to re-haul the rear fuel delivery system on w123 (gasoline) – Robs Mercedes Corner
Only thing thats puzzling are the 2 threaded connections when there's usually only one ?
best thing is to check your own setup to see the run of the existing pipework.
This is the usual setup but the EARLIER alternative would be fuel passing in and out of the accumulator after the fuel pump and then to the filter instead of the T junction at the fuel filter inlet

DSCN4732-1024x734.jpg

Last edited:
Please post up you chassis number and I will try to assist.

Correction- looking at this diagram again with its associated parts list !! the fuel line order is tank- pump-filter-accumulator [in/out] - line to engine which accumulator you buy will depend on the plumbing
getImage.php

if you need the [in out] twin threaded connectors type accumulator 56 the part no is A0004760121 the later setup with the single inlet accumulator pictured above will work fine but will require replumbing the fuel lines

Last edited:
I think the OP is right, 56 looks like the accumulator (with the right angled fitting), 23 is the filter in the middle and the fuel pump is 5. 128 and 125 and the nuts and washers for the electrical connection. Likewise you can see the check valve included in the parts kit #11 in the diagram.

the accumulator is often referred to as the pressure tank.[fuel supply]
the small right angled pipe at the far end is a safety feature fuel return in the event of the accumulator internal diaphragm leaking /failing and does not feature normally in fuel flow path

Last edited:
I think the OP is right, 56 looks like the accumulator (with the right angled fitting), 23 is the filter in the middle and the fuel pump is 5. 128 and 125 and the nuts and washers for the electrical connection. Likewise you can see the check valve included in the parts kit #11 in the diagram.
Yep , agreed , going by Grober's link , in which the item numbers agree with the OP's line drawing . There are different variants because some cars would have a single fuel pump and some had two pumps in series ( at least one of mine had a first fuel pump right under the tank , then a second pump in series within the pack ) . Also , some may have had twin pumps in parallel .

Because of the age of the car and availability/ substitution of parts over the years the fuel pump "package" may have been altered/updated over the years so before ordering parts its essential to inspect what's there now.

Does anyone know if the failing accumulator have anything to do with lack of power on cold or warm driving?

At the moment with regards to power, it’s a toss up between my 280 Ce and a ride on mower

Unlikely- your car is probably equiped with a Bosch K-jetronic mechanical injection system. The whole system is hydraulically powered by fuel pressure provided by that pump system we have been discussing--- the fuel supply volume/pressure must be adequate for the system to function correctly and a good start is to check the cars fuel delivery is adequate- this takes experience and a few basic measuring tools like a fuel pressure gauge.

Unlikely- your car is probably equiped with a Bosch K-jetronic mechanical injection system. The whole system is hydraulically powered by fuel pressure provided by that pump system we have been discussing--- the fuel supply volume/pressure must be adequate for the system to function correctly and a good start is to check the cars fuel delivery is adequate- this takes experience and a few basic measuring tools like a fuel pressure gauge.
Thanks Graeme, I’ve been phoning around various garages including official Mercedes dealerships in the hope to find a mechanic that knows their way around W123’s.

Unfortunately they have retired with their feet up but I have managed to find someone with confidence in W123’s so hopefully after a few quid has been spent I can get to the route cause.

Reactions: 219
Does anyone know if the failing accumulator have anything to do with lack of power on cold or warm driving?

At the moment with regards to power, it’s a toss up between my 280 Ce and a ride on mower
What I've had in the past with one of my W124s was that the electrical connector to one of the two fuel pumps had corroded , so I was running on only one pump ; the car would suffer fuel starvation under hard acceleration , and would only reach a certain speed ( can;t remember how fast now , it was years ago ) .

But worth checking the connections to the two pumps ( if you have them ) . Note : while there will only be one fuel pump in 'the package' if you follow the fuel feed hose back towards the tank , you will often find another fuel pump up above the rear suspension , beside the line coming out of the tank strainer .

Mentioning the tank strainer , these can give problems if they become choked with debris ( on diesel cars they can become clogged with a sort of algae that grows in diesel tanks , but in petrol cars it is usually just a mixture of dirt and rust that has accumulated over the years . The strainer is not an expensive item , but you need to drain the tank fully to replace it . You also need a very large socket ( can't now remember the size , but I got the new strainer first then went into Halfords with it and found it was the largest one they stocked !!!

A blocked fuel filter is another possibility , if it looks not to have been changed in a while .

Last edited:
What I've had in the past with one of my W124s was that the electrical connector to one of the two fuel pumps had corroded , so I was running on only one pump ; the car would suffer fuel starvation under hard acceleration , and would only reach a certain speed ( can;t remember how fast now , it was years ago ) .

But worth checking the connections to the two pumps ( if you have them ) . Note : while there will only be one fuel pump in 'the package' if you follow the fuel feed hose back towards the tank , you will often find another fuel pump up above the rear suspension , beside the line coming out of the tank strainer .

Mentioning the tank strainer , these can give problems if they become choked with debris ( on diesel cars they can become clogged with a sort of algae that grows in diesel tanks , but in petrol cars it is usually just a mixture of dirt and rust that has accumulated over the years . The strainer is not an expensive item , but you need to drain the tank fully to replace it . You also need a very large socket ( can't now remember the size , but I got the new strainer first then went into Halfords with it and found it was the largest one they stocked !!!

A blocked fuel filter is another possibility , if it looks not to have been changed in a while .
Thanks for the info, I’ve just been looking through the past bills and there is a March 2019 receipt from West Hampstead Motors LTD they drained out the tank and blew through with compressed air then renewed with petrol filter so hopefully the lines should be clear

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom