W123 280TE fan belt..HELP!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ddentrec

Car
W123 280TE, W123 200T, W203 C180K
Hello,

I am attempting to replace the fan belt on my W123 280TE. The new belt is definately the correct size, but even with the alternator set to the 'slackest' setting I cannot get the belt on - it seems to be 2 inches too short when compared to the old belt.

I have the radiator off so access is good but I still cannot get that *&^%$ belt on.

So, how do I get the new belt on??!! Any help would be very much appreciated :)

Are you sure it is the correct belt? Maybe there are different alternators fitted to different year cars.

If it's 2" shorter than the old belt then something is definitely not right

Andy

On W124s there are two belts per "model" - one with and one without a/c. If that isn't the issues, just take the belt length from the old one and use that to order with. It'll be 980 or 1020, etc, meaning 980 or 1020 mm

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Agreeing here with Andy and Nick:

Remove the belt and compare the two (old one vs. new). Are they both the same size?

If they are, you've got it on wrong ;)

Check and double check the routing, easier than you think to get it wrong :)

Will

Did you buy the belt from Eurocarparts? If so, it'll be the wrong size. Guess how I know! I bought a replacement from the dealer - cost about the same and fitted perfectly.

Did you buy the belt from Eurocarparts? If so, it'll be the wrong size. Guess how I know! I bought a replacement from the dealer - cost about the same and fitted perfectly.

Same happened to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom