W123 280TE - Fuel Leak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paddingtonfire

Car
1992 W124 300TD Estate & 1982 W123 280TE
Evening Chaps,

I've filled the new addition to the family full of petrol today for the first time. I wanted to add some additive to help clean the internals so I put £50 worth in, drove to ECP and back to get the additive, then topped up with the additive.

I thought after putting the first lot in that I could smell petrol, but you know what it's like after filling up, there may be a smell around anyway, and you get some on your fingers etc, so I thought nothing of it. But after filling up and getting back to work there is a drip coming from the rear off side around the area where the sheathed cable goes to give power to the fuel pump at the back of the car.

I've had a bit of a look now, and it seems it must've been there for a while because the underseal and paint on the tank has lifted off. I've attached a picture where you can see some of the extent of it. The drip is coming off the rubber grommet towards the rear of the photo.

Can anyone shed any light on the problem and how to sort it please? Found plenty of info about diesels in the States but not much here.

Appreciated,

Mike

Attachments

• image-1327108149.jpg
    image-1327108149.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 29
drip

Paddington I have had a few Mercs and only petrol leak I have had, was from the petrol filter banjo bolt, the small 0 ring wanted replacing.

Optimusprime, great name...

Thanks, a bit of further traffic on this, just driven a hundred miles and the drip appears to have stopped... Mike

From memory the T model suffers from a leak at the neck similar to how the W124 models do.

Really I would suggest dont fill it all they way to the brim unless you want to get into replacing the tank... Which, lets face it, will involve stubborn nuts, seized bolts and a lot of swearing...

From memory the T model suffers from a leak at the neck similar to how the W124 models do.

Really I would suggest dont fill it all they way to the brim unless you want to get into replacing the tank... Which, lets face it, will involve stubborn nuts, seized bolts and a lot of swearing...

Sound advice as usual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom